Engine & Internal Chat about beefing up your engine's insides here.

Too much vibration at idle

Old 09-23-2006, 08:06 PM
Default Too much vibration at idle

Hey there,

I'm very upset with honda right now. I took my 1997 accord lx 2.2 in to get diagnosed for an extremely rough vibration shaking everything but when i give it gas it's perfect, it drives like a dream. When i'm stopped at night I can see the whole car shaking. I can feel it in the steering wheel, the pedals, the floor, the armrest... its very frustrating. So they diagnosed it with a collapsed motor mount... sure, so i payed $200 and got it fixed thinking that it would fix the vibration. My father calls me when he picks it up for me and says it feels 100% better and the mechanic thought it was better, but it feels the same to me. The mechanic said that the vibration is normal for an older car like this... i think thats ridiculous. An engine should not bounce the whole car around when idling. I have changed spark plugs, i have tried Lucas upper cylinder lubricant... i'm fed up now. Can you tell me what else could be wrong because i'm sick of this problem that noone can fix. What else could be wrong? (please don't get technical i don't know much about cars) Thank you so much, i hope you can help me!

Sorry also forgot to add that i only have 205000km... my friend's with 365000km, same car, doesn't shake at all!

Old 09-23-2006, 08:19 PM
Default RE: Too much vibration at idle

I'm suprised the motor mount didn't fix the issue.... Motor Mounts are what "protect" your car from the engine rattle/shaking... what RPM does it idle at? If you give it a little gas when it's idling does it stop/even out? I'd say it's either a timing problem, Idle is to low or the motor mounts (besides the one that was replaced) Have you tried simply putting in new spark plugs? has it always done it?

Old 09-24-2006, 02:12 AM

uhm, it idles around 600-650 in gear which is pretty normal, but with the slightest amount of gas it completely levels out, it feels perfect when the engine is working! Thanks for the advice, any more would help a lot! And i have done the sparks, the timing belt was changed at 130000km which i hope isn't the problem, i've checked for vacuum leaks, i've been thinking it could be the throttle body but my father claims that the fuel system was checked out by honda and they said everything is working fine.

Old 09-24-2006, 04:47 AM

Have the wires/cap/rotor been replaced? I'm thinking along the same lines as sir_nasty, I think... Sounds like there might be weak spark. I had a lincoln mark VIII that had the same problem and I changes the wires and plugs and it was good to go. If wires are old and worn they can jump or simply not allow a hot enough spark to get through.

Old 09-24-2006, 12:13 PM
Been Around A Long Time Member

you are correct , just because it has high miles ,, car should not shake

remove the adjuster screw, clean it with carb cleaner, remove the intake tube and clean the throttle body, when readjust idle set it at 750 in gear ...

also whick motor mount did they replace ?? are the other mounts ok ?? the rear mount is the one that causes most of the shaking and for 200 dollars doesn't sound that it is the 1 they replaced,the rear mount alone costs more than that ...and if replaced just the frt 200 dollars was way way too much

Old 09-24-2006, 12:52 PM

Im having the exact same issue with the 1990 i just purchased. It idles at 750, rough. Like riding a chainsaw. But if you give it the slightest amount of gas, it smoothes out, 800 rpm its fine. Im going to do the spark plugs today, and also the throttle body cleaner. Ill go from there after that.

Thanks for the tips guys, and good luck with yours sssexy.

Thankjs
Jeff

Old 09-24-2006, 05:55 PM

just to tell you, the 200 was canadian and the dealership was very good about it...

And g1teg, tell my how some of these things work for you!

Old 09-25-2006, 01:37 AM
ziptie
Unregistered

I'm new here and just learning about the Accord, so I'm going to make a guess. Do these cars have an idle control motor?

Old 09-25-2006, 04:14 AM

Hey, my 1990 Accord was doing the exact same thing!

This might seem obvious... But have you tried a fuel injector cleaner? For the carbuerators and everything? My car REALLY smoothed out after I put some in and I'm going to do that for a while with every tank of gas since it's so old and was driven so little by the previous owner (though it still has a few problems needing to be dealt with). If you haven't tried it, it could be deposits in the engine and carbuerators.

I know, I know, it's probably really obvious and already tried, but it REALLY helped my lil accord.

Old 09-25-2006, 03:10 PM

Do like Desert said and just start cleaning it up a little bit, adjust your idle and check that rear motor mount, I'll bet one of those few items will fix it... My 81 civic runs SUPER smooth and quiet so there is no reason why that car isn't capable of the same thing

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Too much vibration at idle