Engine & Internal Chat about beefing up your engine's insides here.

tranny swap - AT to AT

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-2007, 04:20 PM
Been Around A Long Time Member
Default tranny swap - AT to AT

I've searched and come up empty. Does anyone know if I can swap out my POS 6th gen AT with another AT? I'm looking for something more reliable and AT to MT is out of the question. I've also looked into a Dr. Evil tranny, but that is just a modified 6th gen AT. I'd like to put the 5-spd AT from a 3.2 CL or CL-S in, but I'm not sure that it is possible. I'm looking mostly at the CL and CL-S because they use J-series engines, but other ideas are welcome also. I am looking for a fairly easy swap, otherwise I'm better off saving the money for the next car. All help is appreciated. Please refrain from bashing ideas on this thread as well.[sm=thanx.gif]

Old 09-26-2007, 04:49 PM
Default RE: tranny swap - AT to AT

I think the CL-S trans should work.
The 6 speed manual trans from the CS-L even the TL I believe is being swapped into the 6th gen accords with the J - series engine. The most complicated part is the wiring/computer stuff.
Join up on www.6thgenaccord.com. They have a ton of info on the 6 speed swap. Do a search and see if they have any posts about a AT from a CL or TL working.

Old 09-26-2007, 05:07 PM

I've looked and didn't find this swap. I know that people are doing the AT to MT swap, but that's too much money for me. If I kill the POS that I have, I'd like to be able to do a simple drop in with a better tranny. I'm hoping that I just need to swap the tranny and TCU with no adapters or modifications. I'm not sure what I need to do since I'm looking to go from 4-spd to 5-spd though. ..... or is there a good 4-spd AT that I could use?

Old 09-26-2007, 08:18 PM

Just save for the next car.

Old 09-26-2007, 08:45 PM

DO NOT swap your auto tranny for the cl/tl auto tranny. They have the same problem as our tranny, but worse. Our tranny is much more reliable compared to the cl/tl tranny. The swap is doable, but it's not recommended. And since going from auto to a manual is out of the question, then Level 10 or Dr. Evil is your only 2 options.

Old 09-27-2007, 08:14 AM

Well, you're the first person that I've heard say that the cl/tl tranny is worse. Same issues? I've heard nothing good about L10 and Dr. Evil uses an OEM tranny as their base.

Old 09-27-2007, 09:48 AM

Haha....save up for a 6 speed swap! JK I know you are in NY and the traffic would be a **** with a manual trans car.

Old 09-27-2007, 10:35 AM

I'd actually love to have the 6 speed, but the swap cost more than the car is worth and I'd like the next car to be smaller so I can get the handling even better (looking for 1.5 g's). I'm looking at old and newish, but not brand new. So far, top picks are 91 CRX, 96 Prelude SH and 06 SI.

Old 09-27-2007, 10:37 AM

That's probably true. But swapping a different AT would probably run at least 3k don't you think?

Old 09-27-2007, 10:47 AM

Sounds about right ...... but the MT to AT is over twice that. The Dr. Evil is about 5g's plus install and you end up with an OEM tranny that's mildly improved.

Quick Reply: tranny swap - AT to AT