Engine & Internal Chat about beefing up your engine's insides here.

tranny swap - AT to AT

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-2007, 04:10 PM
Been Around A Long Time Member
Default RE: tranny swap - AT to AT

ORIGINAL: falkore24

Sounds about right ...... but the MT to AT is over twice that. The Dr. Evil is about 5g's plus install and you end up with an OEM tranny that's mildly improved.
Yet the manual conversion is only $1k more than the Dr. Eviland more reliable. Replacing a clutch = easier and less $$ than torque converter and clutch packs.

Old 09-27-2007, 04:15 PM

$3g's is borderline out of the question. 5g's for the Dr. Evil is definately out and 6-7g's for the MT swap isn't even being considered.

Old 09-27-2007, 07:12 PM

The tl/cl at tranny is much worse than the 6th gen because the failure on those is much higher than it is compared to the 6th gen. That's why when some people do the cl-s engine swap, they their 4sp at. Just do a search on the web or at v6p.net and you'll find out a lot of info.
If you do decide to swap in the tl/cl, the only route I recommend is the manual. By swapping in the auto, you might as well give the 3k to a homless person because the auto in the tl/cl is a waste of money imo.

Old 09-28-2007, 09:51 AM

I'll look into that ..... I'm mainly looking for the best option should I kill my tranny before I'm ready to get a new car. I'm going to install a Hayden 403 cooler and hopefully it will last another 2 years until I can get myself a 30th b'day gift (newish SI?). After the tranny cooler, I am going to throw in a 75 wet shot and call it quits on upgrades for this car. To keep it alive for the next 2 years, I've already ripped out most of the rubber hoses and replaced with silicone, I have silicone radiator hoses that I need to install after I deuche the cooling system with vinegar and water, I plan to change the brake fluid ..... and I'm debating if I'm going to install an oil bypass and dual filtration kit that I bought about 2 years ago. I've had the plumbing and all the fittings that I need, but it only fits on the passenger side opposite the fuel controller. I might just save it for the next car (Amsoil full flow + partial flow filters, over 98% efficient at removal of 2 micron particles!)

Old 09-28-2007, 09:32 PM

I suggest just keeping your car the way it is and save the money you were going to spend towards your dream car. That's what I'm doing right now. Keeping the accord as the daily and hopefully, hopefully I can afford an M3 haha. Man everyone around me is getting a new car lately, makes me feel out of the loop

Old 10-01-2007, 10:48 AM

Most likely, I'll finish the maintenance items since I have almost 90k. Add a Hayden 403 tranny cooler and throw in a 75 wet shot .... then call it a day. I think that this setup will last until I'm ready to sell the car. Time will tell.