Engine & Internal Chat about beefing up your engine's insides here.

Type of Pulley

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-2007, 03:12 PM
Been Around A Long Time Member
Default RE: Type of Pulley

Not really ..... I have a Phoenix Gold amp running 4x75W-RMS and I am going to get a JBL BPx 500.1 to drive an L7 8" sub. The JBL is rated at 674W-RMS at 1 Ohm, but I plan to turn it down pretty low to match the rest of the car. I have a 1F cap that came out when I killed my last sub amp; it will go back in with the new amp. A nice trick that I did was when my battery died a little while after I got the car, I replaced it with the SUV/truck battery that was crosslisted as having the same dimensions, but a lot more CCA's.

Old 10-29-2007, 03:27 PM

well its more rms than i have 500rms for my sub and 50x4 for my deck. Although the speakers can handle 150 so im gonna get a second amp for my door and deck speakers

Old 10-29-2007, 03:34 PM

The JBL is more than I've run so far also. Amps make much less distortion than the amp in the HU, so I'm sure that you'll see a nice improvement in adding the second amp. FYI, the 50x4 stamped on the HU is most likely peak.

tnguy: not trying to jack your thread, but we need to know if your 1000W is RMS or peak for further discussion and review.

Old 10-29-2007, 03:41 PM

yea it is peak for the HU i neglected to say that, it sounds great, but i just want it to be crisper. the bass, whoa the bass. theres more than enough there, and ive got it set to less than half power. the amp is rated at 1700W so theres more power than ill ever need.

yea sorry for the thread jack tnguy, idle chatter ya know. its gonna be a slow work week

Old 10-29-2007, 09:48 PM

lol its cool

im pretty sure its 1000watts peak. I use to know all about sound systems b/c i was researching it before i bought it, but then i just forget about it.

Basically what it all comes down to is whether i should get the UR Ultra SS or the UR Ultra SSc

Old 10-31-2007, 11:26 PM

ok folks, im gonna order it soon. most likely the SS 3 piece kit. Should underdrive be an issue? I dont want my AC or power steering not to work lol

"Unorthodox Racing does not push underdriving more than 20% for two important reasons. The main reason is to keep charging systems, air conditioning, ower steering, and water pumps moving fast enough for every day driving. Second, not much horsepower is gained from extreme underdriving." (www.horsepowerfreaks.com)

Any last input?? Underdriven = larger diameter pieces, thus requiring less energy to move? if so, are all the pieces larger in the kit or just the crank?

I know its a lot fo questions, but i need to know what im getting myself into lol

Old 11-01-2007, 11:18 AM

assuming that your 1000W peak amp runs 500 W-RMS, you should have no problem with the alt being underdriven. 2F is twice the capacitance tat you need, but it can't hurt to overdo that. The accessory pullies are smaller than the crank and the changed pulley IS the crank, so it is made SMALLER so that the belts move slower.

Remember, the biggest gain from the pulley upgrade is not the peak HP that is transfered from parasitic drag to the wheels, rather how fast it allows you to get to the higher rpms ...... keep your eye on the curve, not the peak.

Old 11-01-2007, 12:01 PM

If i get the SS kit, is my ac gonna run slower/less cooler?

Old 11-01-2007, 12:49 PM

it will reduce the ac capacity some. I haven't seen a problem in the NYC area. If you were in MS or AZ, I wouldn't recommend it.

Old 11-01-2007, 01:22 PM

nah, i live in south eastern pa.

i feel like im dragging on this post for too long lol

Bottom line, SS or SSc.

Underdrive(SS kit)= engine will work less, but will produce some power b/c lighter weight.
- if engine work less, more hp for engine?
Stock size (SSc kit)= engine will work the same, but will produce some power b/c lighter weight.
- if engine works the same, no more additional hp will be gained

Quick Reply: Type of Pulley