Engine & Internal Chat about beefing up your engine's insides here.

when to replace timing belt?

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2008, 04:28 PM
Default RE: when to replace timing belt?

anything can break, but you are right, Honda uses a synthetic antistretch fiber as the core of the belt... but alas, anit was thrown on the front of the name, it is also usually not breaking, but rather the belt slipping, or slipping off because it is to loose. 90k is what is suggested, though I have a tendancy to check it at the 30k mile tune ups... check to make sure it has good tension, and isnt frayed... if the autotensioner isnt holding it taught it is time to replace it, as well as if there are fibers showing on the sides... belt has to be pretty warn to show fibers on a Honda timing belt so be really forlorn if you see that.

Old 03-06-2008, 05:19 PM

I'm not an expert but from my experiance i think its mostley on how you drive, that will determine how longit will last, i had my stock ones on I'm at 100,000 almost, still going good, my uncle did a full inspection of the car he said they were fine (when it was in his shop for the recent tranny rebuild, and installation of headers). Like i said thats my opinion FOX

Old 03-07-2008, 09:18 AM

You are exactly right, belts are generally rated on how many rotations they are good for, so instead of adding a rotation counter they just took an average of how many miles that many rotations would be... same concept as machines that are service by how many hours they have operated. Of course its not an exact science because nothing is ever manufactured the same twice nor could they anticipate exactly how you would drive your car, that is why you really have to pay attention to your particular belt... but as you said, it was just inspected and fine

Old 03-07-2008, 12:06 PM

i recommend to change it. i did have a 96 civic with 236k on same timing belt and water pump. but that was when i was young and dumb. so change it and waterpump at the same time. good luck!

Old 03-07-2008, 12:22 PM
Been Around A Long Time Member

I replaced my timing belt when it had 140k on it. They do stretch, you could pull mine off of the cam gear, adjust the gear, and slip it back on. Add a rock to the system and it will take a nice chunk out, stretch the belt more, and cause the belt to slip 3 teeth on the cam gear when the tranny downshifted from no load to load. Happened to me.

I used a Gates belt and OEM water pump from O'Reilly's, the belt will last, but hopefully my car is long gone before the bearing seizes on the pump...

Old 03-08-2008, 06:58 PM

I've checked belt replacement online.
Honda Accura, one with 260k another with 170k before their new owners discovered original timing belts.
I've replaced the timing belt in a Mazda 2.4 several times at 60k mile interval.
No wear, no damaged teeth, no cracks even when bent the opposite direction.
Honda says replace at 7 years or 105k miles.
I'm likely to have less than 40k miles at 7 years.
Will likely replace at 10 years.
However, if it had the mileage limit, I would replace.