Engine & Internal Chat about beefing up your engine's insides here.

Whistle sound coming from engine.

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2008, 05:06 PM
Default Whistle sound coming from engine.

I have a 1999 accord LX. Recently, whenever the car is in motion and the throttle is opened, you can hear an annoying whistle sound coming from the engine. It is only when the car is in motion and begins to take on a load. It could be described as a whine, whistle, or chirping noise. The only thing that is new is an SRI that I installed last week, and the noise wasn't there when I first installed the intake. I've checked the vaccume hose connected to the SRI pipe and it has a good seal. Does anyone know what's going on?

Old 03-29-2008, 05:46 PM
Default RE: Whistle sound coming from engine.

It just sounds like a common noise from an SRI to me.... Do you have any other mods done?

Old 03-30-2008, 12:35 AM

No, this isn't normal. Sitting in neutral, the intake doesn't make a whistling noise when the throttle is opened. It is only when the car is in motion that the noise happens. The intake sucking in air is not what is making the noise.

Another reason, when the SRI was first installed, the noise didn't happen at all. Hence "and the noise wasn't there when I first installed the intake."

Old 03-30-2008, 03:38 PM

No one knows what this is?

Old 03-31-2008, 06:55 PM
Been Around A Long Time Member

you can bet you a$$ thats a shorty hiss. dont understand why you dont like it though. i used to try and make mine do it. try it at 4k just part throttle it( it willwhistle so loud youd think a magician somehow installed a turbo for you.then when you get to 5k mash it. doesnt matter how loud your neighbor on the road next to you has their radio they will be put on notice.

Old 03-31-2008, 08:03 PM

It isn't a good hiss at all. I know what the intake sucking sounds like, and that's not what it is.

Also, if it is the intake, explain to me why it can only be heard when the car is in motion rather than all of the time? Why wasn't it there when i first installed the SRI? Why don't i hear the same sound on all of the SRI videos?

Old 03-31-2008, 11:06 PM

My SRI does the same thing. It's idling, and it doesn't whistle. All you can hear is the fshhhhhhh sound from the intake, then when I step on the gas a bit, it starts whistling, and when I press down a little more, it's gone. I think it's normal, cause I noticed it before I installed the shorty. Just now, its probably the first time you paid attention to it since you removed your resonator. I think it's normal, but if you're still worried, record a clean copy and post it here.

Old 04-01-2008, 12:47 AM
Super Moderator

Not much throttle opening required to rev the engine in neutral. When the engine is actually under load it takes more throttle opening &much more air flow to make things happen. That's why it sounds different.

None of us can actually hear it from here, but it sounds like normal sound for a short ram intake. That's the reason for the resonator chambers & other strange features on the stockintake.

Old 04-01-2008, 08:12 AM

So you're telling me that i should hear a high pitch squel from my intake? And if so why wasn't it there when it was first installed?

Old 04-01-2008, 09:06 AM
Super Moderator

Well, I can't hear it from here, so I have to guess what it really sounds like. You first called it a whistle. Now it's a squeal. The resonator chambers of a stock intake are made to muffle those sounds.

Running with load vs. no-load is one explanation why you didn't hear it at first. But if you're sure it was NOT making that noise under the same LOAD (not just the same RPM) then something must have changed.

Look for leaks, tiny openings where the air sucking in can whistle. Be sure to check & rule out any other squealing, like drive belts or alternator bearings.

Quick Reply: Whistle sound coming from engine.