General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

**need major help on my honda**

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-2012, 12:36 AM
Exclamation **need major help on my honda**

Okay so my alternator went out and we replaced it and a week later my honda just squeels all the time when it is on. I dont know what is wrong with it and need help, please take me serious im only 18 and not educated that well yet..... Any ideas whats wrong with it?

Old 02-02-2012, 07:24 AM
Super Moderator

Welcome!

This "new member" section is just for welcome & introductions, so I'll move this over to General Tech.

What year & what engine is your Accord? From 1977 to 2012 they are not all exactly the same. Some years can operate without the alternator belt, to verify the source of the noise. Newer ones cannot because that belt drives the waterpump.

Old 02-02-2012, 08:05 AM
Super Moderator

I am going to guess the alternator belt is loose, causing the squeeling.

Old 02-04-2012, 07:24 PM
Default to jim

Oka well jim i have a 91 honda accord lx, but the guy i bought it from put a 96 engine in it. Ive spoke to people at my job and they say its eother my tensioners, water pump, or pullies, or even all my belt.... Not quite a set target..... One guy said to take a long screw driver to the parts and see which one was makin the squeeling noise and it turns out to be my crankshaft if im not mistaken

Old 02-04-2012, 09:01 PM
Been Around A Long Time Member

This is probably not a major problem
Originally Posted by live2rice
I am going to guess the alternator belt is loose, causing the squeeling.
also my guess. you can keep driving it.

since you don't know cars, go to an auto parts store early in morning (not busy) and ask the guy
to come out and look/listen at it and pass judgement on cause.

it's simple to tighten belt, ask him how while he's there. if you don't have
basic tools, ask him if he'd tighten it for you for $3 (cash on the side).

EDIT: longer term you'll want to develop friendships with couple people who know cars

Last edited by UhOh; 02-04-2012 at 09:25 PM.
Old 02-05-2012, 07:04 PM

Well i work with guys that do know but we havent had time to meet up and really check it out to even see what the real problem is. And i think its my crankshaft cuz i took a screwdriver and listened to certain parts that would squeel and that was the one of the few that was squeeling. So i just need a professional to take a look and ill get it fixed asap... Thanks you guys for the help ill be back if i need more help

Old 02-05-2012, 07:24 PM
Super Moderator

A crankshaft generally don't cause a squeal sound. It is more likely the power steering belt or alternator belt being loose since the alternator was replaced recently and those belts were probably removed.

Old 02-06-2012, 09:14 AM
Super Moderator

If the belts are old, don't just tighten them. Old belts get hard & slippery, and when you over-tighten them you make the bearings (alternator, PS pump, etc) wear out more quickly.

2003 & newer have a single serpentine belt with a spring-loaded tensioner. Also, 2003 & newer 4-cyl waterpumps are driven by the external serpentine belt. That's why I asked the year.

Old 02-10-2012, 04:18 AM

Redbull. You do have a point but i need to get it checked out asap so i know what is really wrong with it so i can get it fixed and back to its oldself and not squeel.... And jim i understand that cuz my mom has a 2009 and i noitced the serpentine belt as well. And also the dude that sold me the car was a dumb *** for stickin the 96 engine in there in the first place cuz it makes **** harder for me to figure out whats wrong with it... And that makes it harder on me

Old 02-10-2012, 06:52 AM
Been Around A Long Time Member

I would not say that the PO was dumb for installing a newer motor in your car.
That is a very normal thing to do and I would be very happy to have a 96 motor in a 91 body.
Anyway you are making this much harder than it needs to be.
You need a 12 mm socket on the end of an extension, pull the power steering reservoir up and out of the way to make it easier to get to the lower nut.
It will take about 10 mins to do.