General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

[Pics included]: Car crash, not sure if safe to drive after repairs.

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-2012, 03:18 PM
Newest Of Newbies
Default [Pics included]: Car crash, not sure if safe to drive after repairs.

I'm cross posting this from DriveAccord so please forgive me if I'm breaking any forum etiquette. I just needed opinions.
---

I had an accident a few weeks ago and the body shop/insurance decided to fix it for me.

It's a 2006 Honda Accord 5 MT Coupe.

Jump below for the photos and my question (basically how bad is this damage?)

A dump truck turned into me on a single lane road and it's rear tire pushed into the car from the left (driver) side.

It pushed the car to the right on the curb where there was wheel well damage and the right front tire came off the wheel. This happened at a slow speed (perhaps 10-15mph) and no air bags were deployed.

The body shop has been making incremental damage claims after the initial estimate and they are not inspiring a lot of confidence in me. They seem to be finding broken parts one by one 'by chance.'

The driver side pillar was broken, so they spot welded sections in. Pics below.

I want to know if this is something I should take up with my insurance company and have them declare it totaled (I don't think they will given that a lot of money has already been spent on fixing it).

I am worried about my safety. They had to reinstall the airbags too, I don't know how well it measures against the original fitting.

They have not yet delivered the car and so I don't know how it drives, but should I be worried? They've not even checked the frame despite me asking.

I am thinking of going to a Honda Dealership and getting it checked once I have my hands on one.

Question: Is this considered serious damage?

Click images for larger photos.

Name:  AGI8cl.jpg
Views: 679
Size:  65.7 KB

Name:  jSdrBl.jpg
Views: 353
Size:  65.5 KB

Name:  7eefll.jpg
Views: 322
Size:  58.1 KB

Name:  Mkkkcl.jpg
Views: 322
Size:  57.5 KB

Name:  E2W4Sl.jpg
Views: 332
Size:  58.7 KB

Last edited by powerslave; 07-30-2012 at 03:22 PM.
Old 07-30-2012, 03:47 PM
Super Moderator

get it back and get rid of it...just my opinion.

Old 07-30-2012, 06:53 PM
Newest Of Newbies

That sounds like I'm going to have to take a hit on the price.

Old 07-30-2012, 08:53 PM

did the insurance adjuster originally claim it to be fixable? Or did he suggest totaling it? If he suggested totalling it then you might be sol. If not, the insurance company is liable to return a "safe as stock" car to you. If you have questions about that take it up with your insurance. You are entitled to a car that is as safe if not safer than stock. Welded A pillars are not safe at all.

Old 07-30-2012, 09:18 PM
Super Moderator

actually, the A pillar is one of the few places honda allows welded repairs...if it's done correctly, they do however do NOT recommend sectioning of any other panel or unibody assy.

Old 07-30-2012, 09:25 PM
Newest Of Newbies

The insurance company did not suggest totaling it. I did not even get a call from my insurance company. I was just sent a check. On (all state's) website's claim section, it says the visit was cancelled.

Is there an official way in which a car is deemed safe (especially checking for the pillar?)

You currently have no inspection appointments scheduled.

To discuss your damages, call or send a message to your claim contact. You can also call 1-800-ALLSTATE (1-800-255-7828) with questions about your claim.
Type Of Inspection Field
Appointment Created On 7/3/2012
Inspection Status: Cancelled

Thanks a lot!

Old 07-30-2012, 11:08 PM

Originally Posted by Dr. Drivability
actually, the A pillar is one of the few places honda allows welded repairs...if it's done correctly, they do however do NOT recommend sectioning of any other panel or unibody assy.

really?! wow I didn't know that. I'd still not be comfortable in a rollover situation with a weld joint on the a pillar. Just my personal preference though.

Powerslave, I'd suggest sending an e-mail to the insurance company asking why the field inspection was canceled. Then upon the reply state your concerns. I say do this in e-mail rather than over the phone because you will start to create a paper trail of documents that can be used in court if need be.

Old 07-31-2012, 07:15 AM
Newest Of Newbies

That's what I did last night. Let's see where it goes. Meanwhile, is there some legitimate way to check for the safety of the pillar (along with perhaps the rest of the car.)

If I were to take it to Honda directly, would they do an inspection of the car/pillar? I guess I should call again and find out. The last time I called, the lady told me that they don't do damage assessments. I am going to call again and check with the service department. Perhaps another service center.

Old 07-31-2012, 08:14 AM
Super Moderator

after it's welded primed and painted...not really, take it to the dealer for sure...but for a trade in

Old 07-31-2012, 08:16 AM
Newest Of Newbies

Haha. Let's see how my insurance company handles this, I have also asked them to initiate a diminished value claim.

Quick Reply: [Pics included]: Car crash, not sure if safe to drive after repairs.