General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

00 Honda Accord V6 coupe starts but shuts off intermittently

Search this Thread

Old 11-25-2014, 12:40 PM
Unhappy 00 Honda Accord V6 coupe starts but shuts off intermittently

My usually reliable 00 Honda Accord V6 coupe with 280k miles developed a problem about a year ago that has every mechanic I've shown baffled...

It starts up fine about 80-90% of the time. The problem is that after a few starts and stops during the day (I'm an outside salesperson making calls) the car will crank, then immediately sputter and stall. I can crank it and hold the accelerator down to rev over 1000 rpm, but it will still stall out when I take my foot off the gas. I can then crank it up, hold the rpms over 1000 and force it into gear, and the car seems to run just fine afterward. This happens intermittently, and has become more frequent.

Yesterday, I cranked up the car, started to drive off, and it completely stalled. I finally got it to crank up again, and it would not rev over 3000 rpm. The mechanic I took it to said it needed (quoting from invoice) NEEDS IDLE VALVE, CLEAN T/BODY RETEST. MISFIRE FAULTS EGR, RESTRICTED CRANK SENSOR FAULTS.

Has anyone discovered the cure? Can I get a second opinion on the mechanic's diagnosis? He wanted $490 just to install the new Idle Control Valve.

Looking for help my new friends!

Old 11-25-2014, 02:21 PM
Super Moderator

Did the invoice quote any error-code numbers? Like P0335 or P1519? The actual numbers are more useful to us than the description of "what it needs".

It's a bit unusual for the idle valve to be bad, normally they just need to be cleaned. And by itself I don't think it would cause everything you describe.

If it's running, even if the check-engine light is no longer lit, you can go to AutoZone or similar place & have them read codes. Often a stored error-code is useful information.

Old 11-27-2014, 01:11 PM
Default Error codes

Thank you for your reply JimBlake,

The error codes I wrote down when I took it to Advance Auto included:
P0705 Transmission range sensor circuit malfunction (occasionally after a rough crank I've noticed a rough transmission shift, but doesn't always happen)
P1491 Exhaust gas recirculation valve lift insufficient
P0301 Cylinder 1 misfire
P0302, 03, 04, 05, 06 Cylinder misfires

Old 11-28-2014, 07:18 AM
Default New Error codes 00 Honda Accord V6 coupe

Got up this morning, and I can't make this stuff up, the car ran just fine. Started up fine after sitting for three days, drove off and down the road without a problem. So it was off straight to Advance Auto to get the check engine codes. The gentleman told me the most recent codes were
P0706 Transmission range sensor
P1491 EGR (4X)
I'm going to google both, but if you have some insights, I would be thrilled to have them so I can focus on repairs needed.
Thank you again for your time and knowledge, this site is a lifesaver!

Old 11-28-2014, 08:40 AM
Super Moderator : And A Texan

P0706 is not listed as a code for your vehicle, however P1706 is transmission range switch (open). This is a fault in the transmission range selection switch. It can be bad switch, wiring, or less likely PCM problem. If you plan to DIY, get a shop manual (automanualsource.com) to guide the diagnostics for this code.

P1491 indicates EGR valve is not opening on command. Again an extensive diagnositic procedure is necessary to find fault; vacuum supply, valve movement, etc. A stuck-open EGR valve might cause starting problems and multiple cylinder misfire. Stuck closed would not cause your symptoms.

good luck

Last edited by TexasHonda; 11-28-2014 at 08:43 AM.