General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

98 accord shuts off while driving, immediately starts back up

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2011, 03:08 PM
Default 98 accord shuts off while driving, immediately starts back up

My 2.3 vtec is great. Im pushing close to 240,000 miles. Being in South Florida, the cold is not an issue.

But recently, while driving at any speeds, the car has completely shut down. I would then coast to a stop and pull over. I turn the key completely off, say "WTF", and in no time, try to restart it. It starts, no problem, every time. I go on my way.

One code on the diag., is the EGR valve should be replaced, but the mechanic didn't think this valve would cause the vehicle to stall. The car even stalled once in idle.

Thankfully every time this has happened, I was able to coast off the road.

Whatever I need to do to fix it, but I wanted your opinions first to see if there has been any other experiences with this issue. Thanks for the replys and advice

Old 02-07-2011, 04:17 PM
Super Moderator

What do all the dashboard warning lights do during the shutdown event? (especially the check-engine light)

Can you make it happen by wiggling the key? If so, it's a flaky ignition switch.

If you can't make it happen by wiggling the key, that DOES NOT prove the switch is good.

I'll generally agree, the EGR shouldn't cause it to shut down completely.

Old 02-07-2011, 04:23 PM

my car had a spell of doing this and i do believe its my ignition or key. whil id be driving itd shut of and come back on or id have to restart it as im coasting. im currently replacing my injectors so it could eitherbe a sign offailing injectors or your ignition or key..

Old 02-07-2011, 05:21 PM

Originally Posted by JimBlake
What do all the dashboard warning lights do during the shutdown event? (especially the check-engine light)

Can you make it happen by wiggling the key? If so, it's a flaky ignition switch.

If you can't make it happen by wiggling the key, that DOES NOT prove the switch is good.

I'll generally agree, the EGR shouldn't cause it to shut down completely.
The dashboard indicators do exactly as they would as if you shut the accord off yourself: the (green) key icon flashes to tell you the key is still in but the car is off.

I can try to wiggle the key. I had the ignition recall of 2002 taken care of back then.

I want to believe it has something to do with the fuel management, as in sender or pump. I really don't think my Honda is the only one that's experiencing this. I appreciate you guys' help.

Let me know if any updates.

Old 02-07-2011, 05:27 PM

The check engine light does not come on when the shutdown occurs.

It seems like it loses the flow of fuel, so it turns off; no bucking or high idleing.

Old 02-07-2011, 08:47 PM
Super Moderator

That still sounds like ignition switch problems. It switches off electric power to the distributor/coil and also switches off power to the EFI/ECU and fuel pump. Just the same as if you'd turned off the key.

The ignition switch recall didn't get you a re-designed improved ignition switch. Just a new copy of the same old switch.

If it IS a flaky ignition switch, you've got lots of company. It's not unusual.

Old 02-07-2011, 09:36 PM

Thanks JB. Im on it

Old 02-07-2011, 10:48 PM
Newest Of Newbies

I just had the same thing happen to me, I put a post up about it with pictures. Mine did the same thing except wiggling the key did nothing.. $60 later and about 45 minutes to install and it's worked ever since.

Old 02-08-2011, 08:39 AM

Originally Posted by colorado_accord
I just had the same thing happen to me, I put a post up about it with pictures. Mine did the same thing except wiggling the key did nothing.. $60 later and about 45 minutes to install and it's worked ever since.
What did you install? Did it happen rarely or have a habit of doing it?

Old 02-08-2011, 10:15 AM
Super Moderator

Here's info. on the ignition switch:

tegger.com/hondafaq/tsb/accord/x02-031e.pdf

techauto.awardspace.com/ignitionswitch.html

Quick Reply: 98 accord shuts off while driving, immediately starts back up