General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

01 Accord incorrect gauge cluster??

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2009, 05:37 PM
hawccord
Unregistered
Default 01 Accord incorrect gauge cluster??

Hey all,
If anybody has some advice on this it would be greatly appreciated.
The SRS light in my 2001 Accord EX has been on for quite some time. I found out from multiple sources on-line that there was a good chance this would be covered under an extended warranty.
I took my car to the local dealership in Hawaiiand they told me that the SRS issue would be covered but first I had to replace the gauge cluster on my car. The service mgr told me that the incorrect gauge cluster was installed and it would be about $500 to replace it. My family has had the car since 03 (i've had it since 06) and it seems very strange to me that somebody would replace the gauge cluster in the first two years of a car's life. I asked the service mgr what part number was on my cluster and what part number should actually be there. He stated that there was no part number on the gauge cluster. This seems very suspicious to me as these days every part in the car has some kind of ID#, doesn't it?
Also, my sister took the car in for the same SRS problem to a different dealer (in Oregon) and they reported that they fixed the problem. They did not mention anything about an incorrect gauge cluster. Could the service guys at the OR dealership have missed it?
so, my question is, would other gauge clusters actually be compatible with my car? Is it even possibleto plug in another gauge cluster andhave all the electrical components function? Also, has anyone ever had problems with the dealer misdiagnosing a problem or even flat out lying to you?
Before paying for the repairs I'd like to make sure this dealership is not lying in order to generate service revenue in these tough times.
Thanks!

Old 01-02-2009, 05:52 PM
Been Around A Long Time Member
Default RE: 01 Accord incorrect gauge cluster??

Take it to another dealership.... they're feeding you BS and even if it was the wrong cluster, you could get one for ~$100 and install it yourself.