General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2000 SE...No Spark

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-2008, 07:27 AM
reelcatchee
Unregistered
Default 2000 SE...No Spark

Hey guys and gals, I'm new to the forum and am seeking advice on how to solve a mystery problem I have. Scenerio is that my wife drove her SE to a friends house shut the car off and a couple of hours later attempted to start it again. It will turn over but won't start. I checked for fuel at the rail...all OK...checked for a spark at each plug wire...NFG. Thinking that it may be a bad coil I replaced it. Still NFG. Replaced the ICM...still NFG. Ohmed out both the ICM and the coil per the factory manual and and all readings are within specs. Have battery at the coil and the ICM. Also ohmed out all the fuses and relays. I do have a question though..if the CYP (cylinder position sensor)is bad will that prevent a spark...I was under the assumption that it is used for injecter timing only. Any help or assistance would be greatly appreciated.

Old 12-28-2008, 09:33 PM
Super Moderator
Default RE: 2000 SE...No Spark

I think the CYP is used for both injector& spark timing. The distributor cant produce spark all by itself. The signals from the timing sensors go to the ECU, then the ECU produces the trigger signal to fire the coil.

In 2000, the timing sensors include one down at the crankshaft pulley along with ones in the distributor.

Old 12-29-2008, 01:10 PM
reelcatchee
Unregistered

Hey, thanks for the reply....but I think I have narrowed it down to the immobilizer system....the indicator on the dash should only stay on for 2 sec....mine never shuts off...just keeps flashing. It appears that it doesn't recognize the keys any longer and i will have take it in to the dealer for reprogramming. Reading all available sources including the factory shop manual the immobilizer not only shuts down the fuel supply but aslo the ignition. There's no easy fix for this one. Always dread taking it to a dealership!!!!

Old 01-02-2009, 10:31 PM
Super Moderator

Yes, that green key lamp is supposed to go out after a couple seconds. The immobilizer kills the injectors & the spark - the 2 things the ECU has control over. The immobilizer does NOT shut down the starter motor.

If you feel like dismantling the steering column shroud, look for the RFID antenna around the key cylinder. Look for broken or disconnected wires.