General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

99 Accord Not Getting Spark to Spark Plug. Now Brand New Battery is being drained.

Old 05-18-2010, 08:50 AM
Default 99 Accord Not Getting Spark to Spark Plug. Now Brand New Battery is being drained.

I have a 1999 Honda Accord 4cyl. Recently it quit and would not start back up. I pulled out the spark plug and wire hit the key and there was no spark at the spark plug. So I put a new distributor on the car, but the car sat all weekend and the battery was dead. I jump started the car and it ran for about 20 minutes, the only issue was that it was a little "shaky" if I revved the engine and the rpm returned to idle, but it did not stall. I believe the timing may be off slightly, but good enough to run. I let it idle about 20 more minutes to charge the battery but it would not hold a charge. I picked up a new battery, installed it started the car up but it would not idle on its own, as long as I continued giving it gas it would run, as soon as I removed my foot from the gas pedal it would stall. I left it sit over night and tried working on it the next morning. The brand new battery was completely dead. I believe there is something other then the distributor going on since what ever it is caused the battery to drain. Any ideas of what I should try or do next?
Thank you.
Sean

Old 05-18-2010, 06:48 PM
Been Around A Long Time Member

sounds like you might have different issues.......

find out what is draining the battery ,, go to the DIY section there is a write up on it
did car have the ignition switch recall ??? chk the charging system ,
once that is fixed , then diagnose the runnability issue

Old 05-18-2010, 08:24 PM
Super Moderator

I would also suggest that you get a wire brush and clean all ends of both battery cables.

I would have the alternator tested and read the DIY writeup deserthonda posted.