General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Car battery keeps being drained.

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-2013, 01:22 PM
Newest Of Newbies
Default Car battery keeps being drained.

Hi, I recently had starter problems which was solved when I got the starter replaced last friday. I haven't turned the car on since and the cars battery was drained. Does anyone know why this is happening? Also, I don't know if this matters, but the starter I put in has a small crack in the plastic area on the starter near where you connect to the heavy cable to the starter.

Also, I let the car run for about 15 minutes last friday to get some juice back in the battery, but today when I tried running it, the battery was dead.

Last edited by CurryBomb; 06-17-2013 at 01:28 PM.
Old 06-17-2013, 03:39 PM
Super Moderator

You didn't replace the battery?

- disconnect the battery cable after charging it up. If it STILL goes dead then you know the battery isn't holding a charge like it should.

Otherwise, you're gonna go through a tedious procedure of pulling fuses to isolate the drain. SOMETHING somewhere in the car isn't turning off. Lamp in the trunk? Stereo amplifier? Other ideas???

Old 06-17-2013, 04:08 PM
Newest Of Newbies

I didn't replace the battery. Should I take the battery into AutoZone and ask them to check the battery?

Old 06-18-2013, 12:32 AM

I would get them to check the battery in case it has a bad cell an maybe even your alternator while your there just to be safe. I know in my car I have an aftermarket radio in my car and it doesn't turn off all the way like it should so o always have to pop the face off when I get out.

Old 06-18-2013, 09:57 PM
Newest Of Newbies

Hey, I checked all the fuses and all of them were fine. I remember when I was first started the car with my new starter that the key was hot. And I previously had replaced the ignition switch since an O'reilly worker told me that could have been the problem. I replaced my old ignition switch into the car and the key didn't get hot.

I plugged the battery back in after switching the ignition switch and the car was clicking multiple times, I assumed the car just needed to be left alone for a little bit. After a few minutes, I started the car and it worked. I tried it again a few times and it turned on every time. I waited another 30 minutes and the car sounded great!

Do you think I could return this faulty ignition I got from Oreilly? it's been about 2 weeks now since I've bought it.