General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

01 accord missing, idle rough and die's

Search this Thread

Old 07-04-2011, 04:04 PM
Default 01 accord missing, idle rough and die's

hello i have recently bought an 01 honda accord 4dr with a 3.0 VTEC that had 230,xxx miles on it. Got the car for a good deal cause of a bad oil leak but turned out to be much worse. pulled it in the garage and started missing really bad and eventually the rod came through the oil pan. i bought a replacement engine out of an 01 honda accord same as myn with 91,xxx miles and put it in. started the car up the other day and ran fine but now when i go to start it up it runs horrible (missing, rough idle, and dies) but every now and then it will start up and idle fine but do nothing when you press the accelerater and other times it will run fine. any help would greatly be appreciated thanks.

Old 07-04-2011, 05:25 PM
Super Moderator : And A Texan

Check for ECU DTC's that may indicate the problem. It could be many things. Post what you find.

Some things to check O2 sensor, MAP, MAF (if it has one), air filter.

Clean IACV, throttle plate, and throttle bore w/ throttle body cleaner. This may not help rough running and failure to accelerate but will improve idle stability.

good luck

Old 07-04-2011, 07:57 PM

i just pulled the DTC's and i have a PO1361 which is intermittent interruption in TDC 1 sensor circuit but it seems as if the code is set it will idle fine and when the code is erased it wont run at all is it going into a safe mode? I did notice something not hooked up though. it is 2 black wires with a brown stripe that is connceted to one connector it looks like a bolt or something goes through it. its over on the tranny side. and I traced it over to the driver side fender so im guessing its a ground wire.

Last edited by harris23; 07-05-2011 at 02:18 AM.
Old 07-05-2011, 05:49 AM
Super Moderator : And A Texan

Very likely the system is going to a backup mode when TDC sensor fault is detected.

You need a good wiring diagram. I believe there is a download manual for your model, but requires burning a CD to get a readable version. Another option is to check w/ seller automanualsource on ebay for an inexpensive download ($21.99).

I don't know where TDC sensor is in 01 Accord. It may be under timing belt cover or in distributor as w/ earlier models. Perhaps someone else will provide guidance.

Wiring diagram and manual will allow loose wiring to be corrected also.

good luck

Old 07-05-2011, 01:33 PM

the TDC (Top dead center) sensor is on the passanger side of the engine compartment on the timing cover up top. my 01 doesnt have a distributor it is all COP (Coil over plug). but i went out to start it this morning and its running fine at idle and you can give it gas but it cuts out and starts sputtering around 4 grand. ive been a ASE tech for 4 years and its been about the weirdest thing ive encountered so far