General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

95 accord - start and die intermittently

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-2013, 01:37 PM
Default 95 accord - start and die intermittently

Greetings,

I have a 1995 Accord 2.2L LX. I'm having problems with the car wanting to start and die randomly and any guidance in troubleshooting would be greatly appreciated.

It started with the car one day not wanting to start. The car would crank but wouldn't start. It had spark and the battery tested good. I had to have it towed to the nearest relative, and once I got it back it started right up and drove perfectly fine.

I started it every morning to see if I could get the condition to start again while driving a different vehicle. After a little over a week I finally drove it again today. I was sitting in idle on my brake in a parking lot and my car died. Tried to restart and it would not crank this time at all. Some people helped me move my car out of the way about eight to ten feet. After we moved it I parked, and after it was able to turn over and start again.

As I said before, any help in figuring out where to start would be appreciated. Thank you

Old 06-13-2013, 01:59 PM
Super Moderator

Next time it fails to start, listen for the fuel pump:
- Fuel pump isn't very loud, so turn off radio, ventilation, etc
- Turn the key to ON but don't immediately turn it to START
- Fuel pump should run for 2 seconds then stop - listen for it

If the fuel pump DOESN'T run then you can start checking for a bad main-relay or some loose wiring back to the pump.

At some point you can re-visit the question of whether it has a good spark? How did you verify a good spark?