General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

02 Accord Sedan 3.0 V6 Transmission Issue

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-2016, 11:08 AM
Default 02 Accord Sedan 3.0 V6 Transmission Issue

I have an 02 Accord Sedan 3.0 V6 that has a transmission issue. The transmission failed after 92,000 miles and was rebuilt. I removed the failing transmission and replaced it with a rebuilt one. The problem that I am having is with the gear selector and indicator. When installed and ready to put back on the road I noticed that the D4 and N was not lighting up in the dashboard. I wiggled the gear selector and I could get both of those to light up eventually. I unplugged the Transmission Range Switch/Neutral Safety Switch and checked the continuity between #3 prong & #9 prong and had continuity. I also removed the console and followed the 98-02 Honda Service Manual, V6 Supplement to adjust the Shift Cable. I now have noticed that when manually going thru the gears with the gear selector and the engine off, that the Gear Indicator lights work intermittently. I can wiggle the gear selector and get park thru first gear to light up on the dashboard. Same issue previously but now occurring in all gears selected. I still have the car on jack stands with the wheels off, and I have also noticed that I can turn either front wheel with the car in Park. That just doesn't seem right since the parking gear should lock the front wheels. I am of course trying to find out what is causing this problem so that I can fix it. I would like the advice of an expert to determine if it might be an internal issue with the rebuild or an issue outside of the transmission. Further information is that the torque converter was also replaced. I also notice a faint whine initially when starting the car that lasts about a minute then goes away. Sounds like it may be coming from the torque converter but I can't positively confirm that. May be of no concern, may be? One other thing is that I removed the transmission while it was in park, and installed the rebuilt one with the transmission set in Neutral, but the Gear Selector inside of the car set in Park. Maybe this is where I messed up but I have a car that I can't drive until this issue is resolved. I wonder if it was a Bad Rebuild or if it can be fixed without removing the transmission again. If anyone can kindly give expert advice on what might be wrong it would be greatly appreciated. All suggestions are welcome by me Thank You!