General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What the...??? Wrong dip stick?

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-2016, 02:25 PM
Default What the...??? Wrong dip stick?

Hello,
My daughter has an '02 2.3l with about 150k mi on it. She's been driving it for around 4k with no problems.

Recently the car was due for its first oil change (according to the sticker the Honda dealership had done the last one).
Before draining the oil I checked the level, it was barely registering.

I drained it and changed the filter and added 4.5qt.
After driving it a week ~200 mi I checked the level and again, it was barely registering. I added a qt.
I do not have regular access to the car, but according to my daugter's explanation it has been puking oil (sounds like out the dipstick).

The only thing that makes sense to me is it has the wrong dipstick or it is not properly seating on the tube.

I'm guessing this is a rare occurance, but does anyone know what the hell is going on here?

Old 08-15-2016, 07:29 PM
Super Moderator

Can you find out what she means by puking oil?

Also, when you filled the oil, did it originally show full on the dipstick?

Old 08-15-2016, 08:36 PM

I didn't check the level when I filled it. I found the capacity for oil/filter change and filled it accordingly, as I have always done for every oil change regardless of the type of car.

As for the puking oil. I've done further investigation and I'm pleading the fifth on the cause of that. I will say though, that it appears to have been a rather significant amt of oil.
As for being 1qt low after only a cpl hundred miles, that is still a concern, as is the authenticity of the dipstick.

Old 08-15-2016, 08:47 PM
Super Moderator

I have no idea if the engine has the correct dipstick. It is cheap to purchase at the dealership.

I'd be more concerned about actually having low oil. I'd fill with oil until it measures on the dipstick, then check the level daily. Also have 2-3 quarts in the trunk at all times.

If the oil loss is quick, then there has to be a decent leak. Do a thorough inspection of the engine block and oil pan for signs of leaks. Check around the oil filter to be sure the old rubber seal didn't stick to the engine block and create a leak. The oil pressure sending unit (high on the engine block above the oil filter), valve cover, etc...

Old 08-15-2016, 09:15 PM

There is no obvious leak.
I'm no stranger to high mileage cars and a WET bottom side is no indication of a big oil leak issue. Usually it's a sign if a very minor leak over a long period of time. This engine seems to have no fluid leaks of any kind. It has been dry underneath until now.

Just need to get the level right again and figure out why it read way low before I drained it and way low again after I changed it.

I seriously doubt the filter seal. I ALWAYS lube that with oil right before I install the filter. If it were missing there's almost no chance I'd miss that.

Last edited by n2audio; 08-15-2016 at 09:18 PM.
Old 08-15-2016, 09:30 PM
Super Moderator

I've read where the old seal could stick to the block and cause the new filter/seal to leak.