General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

02 accord - Transmission worries

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-2008, 09:44 PM
blackonblack
Unregistered
Default 02 accord - Transmission worries

I just purchased an 02 Accord coupe with a 4cyl vtec automatic. I am always hesitant about automatics but I got a great deal on the car. It has 130k seemingly highway. The tranny flush was supposedly done at 75k. I am worried because of two reasons.. 1.) Moreso when it is cold, it seems to have a hard time getting out of first gear. Though as it warms up the shift improves. All of the other gears shift great. I have never owned a honda so I am not sure how much of this is just character. 2.) After driving for a bit I smell what seems to be a clutch smell when I get out and walk around it. I am pretty sure it is not just brakes but I should probably get a second opnion on this point. Nonetheless, any help would be great as I am nervous about my recent purchase. I love the car but As I said. Have never owned a Honda. Thanks!

Old 02-03-2008, 10:40 PM
Almost A Senior Member
Default RE: 02 accord - Transmission worries

If by tranny flush you mean train and refill then good. Honda auto trannies don't like to be flushed. 75k miles has been a while and I think you should change your tranny fluid a couple of times. Just drain, refill, drive for 5miles or so, and repeat 2 more times.

Old 02-04-2008, 06:35 PM

i agree with superballz00.

also, it is normal for the transmission to hold onto each gear longer when it is colder outside. it does this to warm up the engine faster which helps lower emissions quicker. [8D]

Old 02-05-2008, 09:00 AM

I had an 01 auto 4cyl and the tranny crapped out twice. There was a TSB and the first time they fixed it, the second time it was over 115k and they told me to go F!

thanks honda!! [:@]

Old 02-05-2008, 06:34 PM

change the fluid and keep driving. Hell my accords transhas been slipping for 122,000 miles, i just keep on driving.

Old 02-05-2008, 08:51 PM
blackonblack
Unregistered

Thanks guys.. I am hoping that the car is being smart by holding the gear but i will change the fluid anyway. I have always heard that changing the tranny fluid at higher miles could be bad? Not the case here? Also, is there a specific fluid I should use? i read that hondas are sensitive to certain ones.. It really does clean up its shifting when it gets warm. Is there any good suggestions as to whether someone could look to see what I might be looking at or if there is really even a problem? I don't know if I am making too much out of it.

Old 02-05-2008, 09:16 PM
Kurt1129
Unregistered

I think you should change your tranny fluid a couple of times. Just drain, refill, drive for 5miles or so, and repeat 2 more times.

Question for superballz00:
Why fill, drive, drain, and refill? Do these auto trans collect sludge over time? I've never opened up a well used tranny, so I just don't know what it cooks like in there.

Old 02-05-2008, 09:35 PM
Almost A Senior Member

ORIGINAL: Kurt1129

I think you should change your tranny fluid a couple of times. Just drain, refill, drive for 5miles or so, and repeat 2 more times.

Question for superballz00:
Why fill, drive, drain, and refill? Do these auto trans collect sludge over time? I've never opened up a well used tranny, so I just don't know what it cooks like in there.
A lot of the fluid is still in the torque converter so it won't drain out. When you drain the tranny only a little over 1/3 of the fluid will come out. You need to drive it some for the old fluid to cycle out of the torque converter.

Old 02-06-2008, 01:47 PM
Been Around A Long Time Member

it's actually a little better than 1/3. 3 qts to a change, 7.6 qts total in the system. The reason to not change the fluid in an old tranny is that when the internal seals are already shot, the sludge help the seals function. Over the holidays, I did a quad change and a week later my tranny died. In my car, the precursers to the tranny failure wer subtle but there. It would behave like it was choking whenever it wasn't warmed up ...... worse than it should. Also, there was a half second of neutral rev between gears. If you don't have these symptoms then I think you're ok. My tranny died due to bad lip seals which are rubber and the function improves as the car warms up. My car never wanted to stay in first gear long enough when hitting the gas ..... especially when rolling and punching it.

The fluid should be Honda ATF-Z1 only. I've heard that people are happy with Amsoil and Redline also, but they are not widely recommended.