General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Would a transmission fluid drain and fill make the transmission worse?

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-2011, 06:42 AM
Almost A Senior Member
Default Would a transmission fluid drain and fill make the transmission worse?

I must have been on drugs last time I checked my transmission fluid. I think it's worse than I thought it was at the time.

I checked the dipstick recently and the fluid is at about up to the top of that weird diamond checkboard pattern they put on the dipstick. So I think fluid level is fine. It's just the color is the problem. It's a light tannish brown. I'm not sure if it smells burnt, it has a weird smell to it but I wouldn't say it smells like "burnt". What does "burnt" smell like? Burning wood? Burning plastic? Burning meat?

Anyway, I'm reading that the fluid should be red. Well it's definitely not red. It's light tannish brown. I'm not sure if the previous owner put another kind of fluid in there. Regardless I may want to ditch it all and start over by draining it and then filling it with ATF-Z1. But I heard if the transmission is borked and you do a drain and fill it could kill it. I don't want to be in that position.

Safe or not safe? Actually the condition of the fluid may explain why the car has rough shifting. If I'm in park for example and I shift into reverse the car will wait about one second before it enters reverse and when it does the whole car shakes like it hit a bump.

Last edited by MessAround; 08-13-2011 at 06:48 AM.
Old 08-13-2011, 09:45 AM

doesn't seem like you have much to lose by changing the fluid . It could definitely help.
I keep my fluid cherry red . honda tranny's don't run on black fluid like some other tranny's. I would do the honda three oil changes. just checked wal-mart the other day and they had mercon V for $4. this fluid is considered a high friction modifier like the z-1
and on the back it states that it meets honda specs.
by the way if you smell meat your still high and nodding out on the exhaust manifold.