General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

03 Acc V6 - blue or green? mixing?

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-2018, 11:58 AM
Default 03 Acc V6 - blue or green? mixing?

Hi, I just acquired a 2003 Honda Accord EX V6 with about 170-180k miles on it on short notice. (meaning I had no time to really inspect the car or look at a service car, I had an emergency requiring a car by this monday because my other car kept catching fire and I drove it home literally last night) It seemed low on coolant (or/and I couldn't tell) so I topped it off with some "safe for all cars" green coolant. Then I remember hearing about "honda blue" coolant (I am not an expert) yet I dont even know if this car came with blue coolant or whether it matters... I couldn't see anything int he overflow tank so didn't notice a color at the time when I added the green, I just didn't want the car to be low on it's maiden drive home.

Did I just screw something up? If I did would a full coolant drain be required ASAP or is it something that could wait a little... i'm very short on money (I got this car on a "pay me when you have the money" basis so beggars cant be choosers) and don't even have another $100 or whatever someone might charge to flush everything when I already have to do other small repairs to the car. (will post about those soon but it's missing and throwing a code about misfires periodically) Ive never even done a flush before and wasn't sure how to do it so i'd rather not, or rather wait if I could. (other than hearing it involves a garden hose and believe it or not I have no access to one I can use where I have to be driving the car for now either so can't DIY if it requires that to flush things - I live in a place with broken plumbing incl the outdoor hose)

Old 09-23-2018, 12:45 PM
Super Moderator

Did you add coolant to the radiator or just the overflow bottle?

The blue Honda coolant has a longer life than the green coolant. I think you'll be ok with the less expensive green coolant right now.

Old 09-23-2018, 10:02 PM

Originally Posted by PAhonda
Did you add coolant to the radiator or just the overflow bottle?

The blue Honda coolant has a longer life than the green coolant. I think you'll be ok with the less expensive green coolant right now.
I put not too much to fill up the overflow bottle (half a pint? less? wasnt measuring just from a big jug of 50/50 premix) of the green, to whatever was in there in the first place. (which i'm not even sure WAS the blue, whats in there doesnt seem to look very blue unless the overflow never re-mixes or turns green over time) If I could let things sit until spring i'd be alot happier - I should have outdoor plumbing fixed by then for the hose to flush the block, heater core, and radiator by then if a changeover is needed.

I was mostly concerned about whether any of the past mixing issues with some coolants could happen with the honda blue... i thought it was silicates or something precipitating out of it (read about this a long time ago/know nothing) and something about organic vs inorganic coolants and having no idea what hondas is supposed to be... also knowing that no matter what the label of something they sell you says ("safe for all cars") thats not always true. If I can get a few other pats on the back saying it will be fine until next spring/summer that would boost my confidence. :-P (is the only way to see blue coolant in it's natural habitat to drain it out of the radiator or something? I saw none in the overflow tank..)

Old 09-24-2018, 07:57 AM
Been Around A Long Time Member

You will be fine. The majority never use the blue coolant after warranty because they don't go back to Honda to get it serviced so unless the previous owner is a DIYer more than likely it's just regular coolant. Mixing coolant (long life with regular) just means you have to change it on a normal interval. It does not change what it's meant to do which is cool the engine.

The reason to use the Honda blue coolant is to get the most out of your cooling parts. Me personally working on Honda's for over 10 years have never seen a Honda cooling part go prematurely due to regular coolant being put in the cars. It happens when your maintenance schedule exceed the life of the coolant purchased.

I've always used Honda blue and change it every 90k-100k. Haven't had a pump or thermo give out on me yet out of the 3 Honda's I maintain regularly since they pulled of the lot and they are all beyond 200k. Working on borrowed time!

Now if you do decide to go with Honda blue. Drain and run water from a hose through the engine to get the old stuff out before putting it in.