General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

03 accord with ac problems

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-2009, 01:41 PM
uhhhmenono
Unregistered
Default 03 accord with ac problems

my inlaw has 03 accord lx 4cyl with 30k and the ac quit working last week. i've check for charge in the system and it was empty, so i tried to fill it up with the 12oz cans. it reached 70psi on the low side with less than half a can. hooked up a 2 gauge manifold tester to it and it read 70psi on low side and 80psi on the high side. compressor never kicked on, checked for power to the compressor and it was getting 14v. the air coming out of the vents is warm.
what else can i test or look for before i replace the compressor?

Old 05-27-2009, 03:59 PM
Super Moderator : And A Texan

If the system is empty, there is a major leak that must be repaired before charging. Have you looked for evidence of the leak (dirt/oil accumulation from discharged lubricant at the leak site)? Likely leak locations are connections, condensor, and hose crimps. Most systems come w/ a dye that will also assist finding the leak. Repair leak before any charging. Receiver/drier should be replaced since system went to atmospheric pressure (0 gauge pressure). It is also likely that some of the lubricant was lost from the leak discharge, perhaps 3-4 oz. No way to know for certain, but some lubricant should be added before recharging.

From your post, you don't have enough understanding of AC systems to safely charge. Better to be blunt and hurt your feelings, than you get hurt doing something you shouldn't. Charging requires 1) manifold gauge set, 2) vacuum pump, and R134a supply that can be connected to manifold gauge set. Basic requirements for charging are posted on ackits.com website. An understanding of AC systems is easily acquired and will provide a lifetime of benefits.

good luck

Old 05-27-2009, 07:10 PM
uhhhmenono
Unregistered

thanks for the response texas, no you did not hurt any feelings!! i do admit i know almost nothing about ac systems.. but i did read your previous posts before and i already have purchased a manifold gauge kit, vacuum pump, 134 and hose to connect to manifold

just looked at the clutch/center section of the compressor pulley and it's not spinning with the pulley.

so i retested the 12v to the compressor and i am getting 12v as i turn ac on/off. i also tried jumping the 12v to the compressor from the battery and i don't hear anything click, is it suppose to with the selenoid?

where do i check the air gap on the pulley or test the selenoid? i do have a feeler gauge set as well

Old 05-27-2009, 07:16 PM
uhhhmenono
Unregistered

btw i did check for leaks and there's no visible leaks with uv kit, i have vacuumed out the system before i tried filling it with 134

Old 05-27-2009, 08:06 PM
uhhhmenono
Unregistered

just tried to ohm the "coil?" but it seems to be open circuit?

i put the meter on the pigtail and connector, also tried to splice the wire before the connector to get reading but no luck..

Old 05-28-2009, 06:42 AM
Super Moderator

It's sounding like the compressor clutch is the problem, not the compressor itself. Tex, do you know whether that clutch can be replaced/dismantled without disconnecting the refrigerant lines from the compressor?

Old 05-28-2009, 10:40 PM
uhhhmenono
Unregistered

that do seem like the problem... is it normal for pressure to build up so fast with that tiny amount of 134, low side pressure shot upto 70psi...

btw i can turn the "center/clutch" section of the compressor by hand

Old 05-29-2009, 04:43 PM
Super Moderator

when the compressor clutch coil is getting power, hold your wrench down there to see if there is magnetic force.
If you feel magnetic pull, tap on the clutch disc to see if it pulls back to the clutch coil.
If that happens, remove the disc and take out a couple of the thin shims.
NOTE: be careful removing the disc, so you don't lose the shims.

Old 06-03-2009, 11:24 AM
uhhhmenono
Unregistered

Originally Posted by hondadude
when the compressor clutch coil is getting power, hold your wrench down there to see if there is magnetic force.
If you feel magnetic pull, tap on the clutch disc to see if it pulls back to the clutch coil.
If that happens, remove the disc and take out a couple of the thin shims.
NOTE: be careful removing the disc, so you don't lose the shims.
no i didnt feel anything on the clutch even when i provided direct 12v to it from the battery

i have a new compressor on the way, will post with results

thanks guys!