General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

03 accord coupe ex-L roof leak

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-2010, 08:48 AM
Default 03 accord coupe ex-L roof leak

I have tried fixing my leaking roof by sealing the tracks along the side of the driver's door and down half way to a windshield. The water leaks after rain at the top of the A pillar corner on the driver's side. I am assuming I need a new weather strip for my sunroof, because I found a technical bulletin stating that all 03 models starting with my VIN number are affected. It seems that the weatherstrip around the sunroof is ok, but I guess that would fix it because I've tried sealing the other part mentioned above and it didn't work. Anyone else had this problem? To replace the weather strip I would have to take out that glass, is it hard to do? Thank you.

Old 07-30-2010, 12:40 PM
Super Moderator

It's not real hard to take out the glass, but first check the sunroof drains. Each of the 4 corners of the sunroof has a drain tube. The weatherstrip never seals perfectly; there's a sort of "tray" or gutter around the opening with a drain hose. The front ones should go down throught the A-pillars & empty out somewhere down low. Maybe they come out somewhere in the door-hinge area. When they get plugged with crap, the water backs up in the tubes.

Old 07-30-2010, 03:26 PM

I understand that the weatherstrip will let some water in, hence those 4 drain tubes will be collecting water. I have checked them, and were clear. At first I thought the molding channel wasn't sealed right, but I sealed it like 2 times so it must be sunroof, because the water still leaks in.
So my conclusion is that he weatherstrip lets A LOT of water in and those drain tubes cannot drain the water fast enough. Replacing the weatherstrip should help. Where can I buy it and how do I take out the glass?

Old 07-30-2010, 07:07 PM
Super Moderator

Dealer should have it, sometimes they might print out some instructions for installing it.

or try www dot hondaautomotiveparts dot com
click PARTS
put in your car's information
I'm not sure what category contains the sunroof, but sometimes the parts drawings are pretty good for taking stuff apart.

I think there's a couple (or 3) bolts on each side, then the glass just lifts out. You might have to remove some trim around the opening in the headliner.

Trick is adjusting it to sit flush with the metal roof when you put it back in. Usually the glass is supposed to be a bit higher or lower than the metal - I'll try to look that up.

Old 07-31-2010, 07:08 PM
Super Moderator

The weatherstrip is supposed to be flush with the metal roof +/- 1mm.

Open the sun-shade underneath the glass, but have the glass closed.

2-door:
Bend a couple little flaps in some kinda rubber trim along the sides of the roof.
There's 2 screws on each side of the glass.

4-door:
Pry open 2 tiny little covers in the plastic trim, 2 screws to remove that trim down the sides of the glass.
Under that trim, there's 3 screws along each side of the glass.

For both:
Lift out the glass - don't drop it onto the painted sheetmetal (can't believe the shop manual actually said that).

Old 08-01-2010, 07:42 PM

http://img267.imageshack.us/g/img2204v.jpg/
here some pictures of the leak whatnot. I doubt that the sunroof seal is bad, because little to none water actually leaks through when I sprayed my sunroof with water. The only way for water to leak if it was the sunroof problem, is if water went over the plastic channel inside the sunroof. I to complete rule out the sunroof, I will tape it up with plastic and duct tape.

Old 05-12-2013, 06:55 PM
Default did you fix the leak?

matase,

I have an '03 accord and the picture that you posted of where water is leaking is happening to my accord now, except on the passenger side. i know this is an old thread but i have spent the last two months trying to find out where this leak is coming from so that i can fix it. the dealership has been totally worthless in helping me.

i have tried sealing the weather stripping that runs across the car from left to right directly above the windshield, checked and re-checked the sunroof drain lines and removed the trim that runs front to back on the car to try to locate any holes there. i am at a loss and water is still coming into the car each time it rains. the accord is perfect otherwise.

could you please let me know if you were able to find out where the leak was coming from and how you fixed it? i would really appreciate any help.

thanks.

Old 05-12-2013, 07:30 PM
Super Moderator

You may want to send him private message about the outcome of this topic. It is frustrating when people dont post the solutions, so it will help others out in the future.

Old 05-16-2013, 03:44 PM

I have not posted the solution because I have not found it. Since I got a PM, it showed up on my email and I decided to post this in this thread. It has been years since the water has been seeping through the ceiling...