General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

03 Accord Ex V6 Heater not blowing heat!

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-2014, 06:46 PM
Default 03 Accord Ex V6 Heater not blowing heat!

Help me! I'm attempting to fix my Ol' ladies car 03 Accord Ex V6.. The heat is blowing warm to cold air. This happens on both sides, it seems to cool more while driving. I replaced the thermostat and burped all the air out (at least I believe so). The heater core hoses are both warming up while running so I'm pretty sure the heater core is functioning properly. The heater control valve is moving as it's supposed to. Its hard for me to believe that both blender door actuators are malfunctioning (duel climate zones).. Is there a third door that controls the main heat from the core? This is driving me nuts and I need to get her heat going.. It's getting cold here in Cleveland!

Old 12-02-2014, 07:01 PM
Super Moderator : And A Texan

The Air Mix control motor may be stuck in cold position preventing air from flowing over the heater core to provide heat.

Looks to be a fairly easy replacement from under the driver's side foot space. You can adjust temperature settting and confirm the air mix is not driving the mix door.

If you want to DIY, suggest downloading a manual from automanualsource.com to have the replacement procedure.

good luck

Old 12-02-2014, 07:07 PM

Sweet! I'll give it a shot! Thank you for the quick response! Hopefully I can now move on to the plethora of other issues her car has!

Old 12-02-2014, 07:10 PM
Super Moderator

If the car has climate control (which sounds like it does), it has both separate driver's side and passenger side air mix control motors.

At the top of this forum section, in the sticky "Common DIY and Other Threads" is info. for retrieving any stored HVAC trouble code(s). See if there are trouble codes.

Old 12-03-2014, 07:43 AM

Well driving home from work this morning I noticed the passenger side is hot compared to the driver side. Nothing in comparison to my 13 Accord heat! I tried to bring up codes using the above method with no luck. I also looked on the dash to see if all the actuators are functioning and they were. I'm freaking stumped..

Old 12-03-2014, 08:20 AM

Feel the heater core hoses. Both should be getting as hot as coolant (200+F). Return line may be slightly cooler.

If low coolant flow to heater core, then heating will be subpar. Has cooling system been regularlly serviced (every 2-3 yrs)?

good luck

Old 12-03-2014, 08:27 AM

Just did all that when I changed the thermo. Hoses are all hot

Old 12-03-2014, 08:28 AM

I just don't get why one side is warmer then the other

Old 12-03-2014, 08:42 AM

You checked under the dash and both air mix motors are changing position when temp setting is changed from hot to cold or vice versa?

Any clicking or grinding from below the dash? This is a symptom of failing air mix motor, and will result in improper temp setting usually.

good luck

Last edited by TexasHonda; 12-03-2014 at 10:45 AM.
Old 12-03-2014, 02:10 PM

They work fine and smooth.. No noise.

Quick Reply: 03 Accord Ex V6 Heater not blowing heat!