General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

03 accord, stops running

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2009, 01:36 PM
bneweys
Unregistered
Default 03 accord, stops running

03 accord ran out of gas last week. Now when applying brakes it will die. Been at dealer for 4 days and they cannot find problem.
Sometimes runs great all day. Started it Monday morn and as I drove down street it died. Cranked up and drove to stop sign where it died again. Waited 10 mins to start and drove to dealer.
Dealer cannot help. No dash lights on.

Old 07-29-2009, 01:44 PM

The dealer cannot help? That's ridiculous. Is it a Honda dealer? if so and they cannot help, you should contact Honda of America. That's incompetence.

Sounds to me like you got air in the fuel lines.

Old 07-29-2009, 01:49 PM
bneweys
Unregistered

Big Honda dealer in Atlanta, GA.

Old 07-29-2009, 01:52 PM

So they told you they had no idea what the problem was? or could they not get the car to replicate the problem?

Old 07-29-2009, 02:07 PM
bneweys
Unregistered

Both. Last night the rep drove it home. No problem. This is my daughters car and I don't need her stopping on the freeway!

Old 07-29-2009, 02:53 PM

Has it replicated the problem since it has been back from the dealer? If it was air in the lines, maybe it worked its way out and now there is not a problem?

Old 07-30-2009, 04:58 PM
bneweys
Unregistered

Picking car up tonight. Dealer says cannot find problem. Wish me luck.

Old 08-02-2009, 04:21 PM
bneweys
Unregistered

Got car Friday. Passenger floor very wet. Noticed no water dripping under car with a/c on. Sunday morn jacked it up in driveway. Put jack stand under right frame rail. Slipped underneath and found a 3/4" hole in floor with a doubled up hose stuck in the opening. Pulled out the hose and out came about a pint of water. Theory about water shorting the ecu under dash sounds good. My daughter said in hard left turns she could hear what appearred to be be a sizzling sound. The a/c evaporated water was not able to exit the car and was sloshing around under the dash.
Lets see if the car stops now. Water dripping out hose now when a/c is on.

Old 08-03-2009, 08:22 AM
Super Moderator

Sounds like you found the problem. But hopefully there's no permanent damage (like corrosion in electrical connections). ECU is above floor level, it's kinda directly forward & a little lower than the center storage bin. So maybe it wasn't really soaked?

Old 08-03-2009, 12:00 PM

That is absolutely ridiculous that the dealer couldn't find that and you found it yourself. Seriously: you need to file a complaint with Honda of America and possibly with the Better Business Bureau if they charged you for anything.

Quick Reply: 03 accord, stops running