General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

'04 Accord 4cyl auto. Won't shift out of Park & CEL on

Old 06-04-2013, 05:30 PM
Newest Of Newbies

Hey thanks redbull-1! Will I be able to reuse the bolts or do I need new ones? I was thinking about taking a hacksaw to slice a notch in the top of the bolt and try to use a flat head screwdriver to remove them do you think that would work? And one more question, I've read a lot about calibrating the TPS after installing, is that something I will need to do with mine?

Again, thanks to everyone for your help!!

Attached Thumbnails '04 Accord 4cyl auto. Won't shift out of Park & CEL on-6.4.13-039.jpg  
Old 06-04-2013, 06:02 PM
Super Moderator

You can reuse the bolts. Either way works.

Here is a link on how to remove the two shear bolts with a center punch and hammer (it is actually very easy and fast to do, probably less than a minute for each shear bolt).

Throttle Position Sensor - Honda-Tech

Old 06-04-2013, 06:17 PM
Newest Of Newbies

That's great! Thanks you! Do I have to remove the whole throttle body to install a new TPS or since I have plenty of room there can I just remove/install it without disconnecting the hoses and the body.

Thanks again. You probably saved me several hundred dollars! Fingers crossed this solves my problem.

Old 06-04-2013, 07:01 PM
Super Moderator

There is no need to remove the throttle body since you can get to the shear bolts.

Old 06-04-2013, 07:49 PM
Newest Of Newbies

OK, thanks! I will be working on it on Wednesday or Thursday. I will let you know how it works out!

Old 06-04-2013, 08:29 PM
Super Moderator

Many of the Blox TPS images shows the kit comes with new bolts.

Old 06-04-2013, 10:41 PM
Newest Of Newbies

Thanks. I was wondering how good I would be able to tighten the bolts if I reused them with either method, center punch or hacksaw. I haven't been able to find the TPS alone locally here so I am going to have to order it. How bad do you think it will be for the car if I MUST drive it with the bad sensor until I receive the new one?

I really appreciate the help!

Old 06-06-2013, 03:13 PM
Newest Of Newbies

OK, I ordered the part today from ebay, Throttle Position Sensor TPS 03 05 Accord Element All | eBay. I should get it by Monday. I'll let you know how it works out. Thanks again!

Old 06-09-2013, 02:14 PM
Newest Of Newbies

Hi, got the new TPS yesterday and installed it today. Took about an hour to install which included taking a hacksaw to cut grooves in breakaway bolts which took up most of the time. Works great! It solved my not being able to shift out of park problem and no more CEL.

I do have a question. I bought a volt meter that I had a hard time figuring out. I turned it to DCv & then to ACv: @ ACv with black wire to chassis ground and red wire on center wire on TPS connector it read .004 - .005 with the engine key OFF. At first the idle seemed a little high at approx 1000 rpm so I adjusted the TPS slightly without using volt meter. I then tried to start the car and once again I could shift out of park. So I adjusted the TPS back to where it was right after I installed the new one. Everything works great and it idles @ about 500 rpm now. So my question is how do I use a volt meter and/or should I just leave it alone now that the car seems to be running fine?

Thanks for your help! My wife is very happy that this has saved us about $575 which was the quote for the car place who wanted to replace the entire throttle body!

I'll post some pics I took during the install later to help others who have this same problem.

Old 06-09-2013, 02:20 PM
Super Moderator : And A Texan

I would leave the adjustment "as is". You may need to adjust IACV bleed air per shop procedure.

You use DCv for measure Direct Current voltage on car circuits.

Alternating Current voltage is useful for household voltage checks 110 and 220, but requires much more care as these voltages are life threating if you get in the ground path!

good luck

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: '04 Accord 4cyl auto. Won't shift out of Park & CEL on