General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

'04 Accord -- Blown Head Gasket?

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2010, 03:10 PM
Default '04 Accord -- Blown Head Gasket?

Hi everyone, first post.

I've had P300, P301, etc. cylinder misfires. I have a VTEC 2.4 4 Cyl engine with 90K miles, original owner.

My mechanic changed the spark plugs, all four, and ruled out the coils. Check engine light went back on. I brought it back, he looked again today, said he saw liquid in one cylinder, the other three are dry. I forgot to tell him today that this morning upon starting the car, there was a ton of white smoke, and it took forever to heat up the interior. Is this a blown head gasket? Honda dealer told me to junk the car and get a new one. Should I have my independent mechanic look at the head gasket and give it a shot? Otherwise, is it off to a used engine?

Thanks so much for reading,
Paul

Old 04-28-2010, 11:58 AM
Default Full description

On Wednesday, April 21, I had an oil change and front brakes done. Two days later, I noticed a vibration after starting the car for about three seconds, before smoothing out and sounding normal. It happened once again after starting the car, and then in the afternoon, the Check Engine Light went on.
I brought the car to the Honda dealership for service, where they brought me into the shop and said I have multiple cylinders misfiring, and one of the spark plugs had a liquid residue on it, which appeared to be oil, versus the others which were clean. They conducted a compression test, with the readings as cylinder 1: 185 psi, cylinder 2: 215 psi, cylinder 3: 185 psi, and cylinder 4: 185 psi. A leak-down test was not done to possibly pinpoint whether it was a ring/valve/head gasket issue. They mentioned something regarding the head gasket, but were more convinced it seemed that the engine was pretty much done. They recommended I look into a used or new engine, or trade the car in and look for a new one.

The plugs were changed and coils were determined to not be an issue, and the light went off. But now, the light is back on, I have the same codes: P300, P301, P302, etc. Tuesday, I took the car to work, and upon starting it up after having it sit outside overnight, a substantial cloud of white, sweet smelling smoke came out of my tailpipe. My heat inside the car also took longer than usual to work. The car drove fine, but the startup had the same vibration I described. Starting Wednesday, I carpooled with my wife, and have not driven the car.

I have not noticed the car overheat. The symptoms I’ve experience again are:

· Vibration of car upon start up
· Loss of heat, or longer time to heat up interior of car
· White smoke from tailpipe, with sweet smell
· Check engine light stays on
I have taken good care of the car, never abused it, and change oil regularly.

Old 04-28-2010, 04:06 PM
Super Moderator

Have you checked coolant lately? Check in the actual radiator - it's possible for the radiator to to be low while the overflow reservoir is still full.