General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

'04 Accord: Strange clicking/ticking sound from dash area?

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-2013, 01:37 PM
Default [SOLVED] '04 Accord: What is this strange clicking/ticking sound from dash...

-----UPDATE: PROBLEM FOUND..... see LAST video, still need help pls! ------

Hi All, new to forum, but have been lurking...

My '04 Accord EX (135k mi) has a strange clicking/gurgling/bubbling sound coming from dash area, driver's side. It's weird, occurs at random, and sounds like its behind the speedo area.

Here's a video of it (sorry, the sound is low):

It's pretty pronounced sitting at a red light (prob cuz I can hear it more!) Anyone heard of/reported this before?

Last edited by briggsrepair; 08-02-2013 at 07:41 AM.
Old 07-03-2013, 05:47 PM
Super Moderator

When I click the vid I get a message "this video is private".

Does the sound only happen when the AC is on?

Old 07-03-2013, 07:16 PM

Try the video now.

The sound happens WITH and WITHOUT the A/C on. Rather annoying and bizarre.

Old 07-04-2013, 01:33 AM

I have the exact same thing! I'd love to know what that is.

Old 07-04-2013, 08:06 AM
Super Moderator : And A Texan

On my 03 MDX and other Honda products, a frequent problem is air mix motor cycling or hunting. It makes a cyclic rattling sound which may be your problem. See following link.

Rattling Center Dash (Heater A/C Air Mix Motor) - Acura MDX Forum : Acura MDX SUV Forums

good luck

Old 07-09-2013, 12:46 PM

Originally Posted by TexasHonda
On my 03 MDX and other Honda products, a frequent problem is air mix motor cycling or hunting. It makes a cyclic rattling sound which may be your problem. See following link.

Rattling Center Dash (Heater A/C Air Mix Motor) - Acura MDX Forum : Acura MDX SUV Forums

good luck
Followup: The noise occurs randomly, from what appears directly behind the horn area or dash, below the dash.

When I do here this repeated "clicking/bubbling" sound, I notice I am able to make it recur/reappear when changing the temperature control setting (eg: 62-->72, etc.)

Anyone else have ideas?

Old 07-09-2013, 06:26 PM

Your diagnostics furthe indicate air mix motor is problem. When you adjust temp you are commanding air mix motor to change air mix to get new temp setting.

good luck

Old 08-02-2013, 07:33 AM

I found the problem! This is located driver's side, below right steering column area. Whenever I adjust the temp, this moves and then the clicking ensues. Turn up your volume, you'll see what I mean....

What is this part, and does anyone know the fix?

Thanks all!

Last edited by briggsrepair; 08-02-2013 at 09:25 AM.
Old 08-02-2013, 07:56 AM

That is Air Mix Control Motor. Fix is generally replacement. The problem may be grease in the motor movement obstructing the wiper/resistance contact strips, causing intermittent contact and the hunting action you see.

Some have managed to remove the motors, clean excess lube, and re-install. However it is easy to get the gear mesh alignment wrong and motor will not "mix" correctly. The links I earlier posted discuss these issues.

It doesn't look to difficult to replace, but shop manuals are notorious for ignoring interference issues that complicate under-dash repairs. Remove connector and 3 screws to release motor.

I would suggest purchasing an e-manual from automanualsource.com to obtain factory drawings and procedures.

good luck

Old 08-02-2013, 08:47 AM

Originally Posted by TexasHonda
That is Air Mix Control Motor. Fix is generally replacement. The problem may be grease in the motor movement obstructing the wiper/resistance contact strips, causing intermittent contact and the hunting action you see.

Some have managed to remove the motors, clean excess lube, and re-install. However it is easy to get the gear mesh alignment wrong and motor will not "mix" correctly. The links I earlier posted discuss these issues.

It doesn't look to difficult to replace, but shop manuals are notorious for ignoring interference issues that complicate under-dash repairs. Remove connector and 3 screws to release motor.

I would suggest purchasing an e-manual from automanualsource.com to obtain factory drawings and procedures.

good luck

Thanks Texas!

1. Do you have a recommendation for where to buy the part from?

2. Do you how to locate the part # -- or would that be included in automanualsource?

Quick Reply: '04 Accord: Strange clicking/ticking sound from dash area?