General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

04 EX 4-cyl rough idle, poor milage, low power & runs hot.

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2010, 10:52 PM
Default 04 EX 4-cyl rough idle, poor milage, low power & runs hot.

Whats up Gents,
I spent a few hours searching threads but having a tough time deciding what to do first.

Heres the deal, its a 4cyl with 107K, i am not hard at all on the car. I routinely replace the oil and filter (full synth 6-8k intervals), i did a tranny fluid flush once @60K, air filter once @ 60K and plugs twice @60K and 107K. No other work. (just brakes and rotors)

Well for a while now i milage has been poor. i have not calculated it myself but the trip computer says about 21-22.

Next i noticed a loss in acceleration and overall power, usually the performance would come back after an oil and filer change but not much difference in the last 2 oil changes.

More recently i have noticed the engine temperature higher than normal,(my only reference is the dial is now covering the little temperture icon and it was not going that high previously.)

I have also noticed rough idleing, mostly when the car is in drive and my foot pressed on the brake, when in neutral or park it is not as drastic. It never gets the the point of stalling or not starting but i think it might be symptom of whatever is going on.

And the last time i drained the oil almost a quart was missing. There is no blue smoke or leak.

The suggestions that I've read:
For temperature thermostat.
For power, milage, rough idle and power: replace distributor cap, ignition wires, egr valve, o2 sensors. etc.

Before I go on a rampage and have the car in pieces i figured i'd get a little direction.

Thanks in advance,
Joe

Last edited by JoetheEngineer869; 03-30-2010 at 10:58 PM. Reason: detail
Old 03-31-2010, 06:57 AM
Super Moderator

First, coil-over plugs - you don't have a distributor so there's no cap & wires.

Does the check-engine light come on at first (bulb check)? Does it come on at all during driving? If so, AutoZone or someplace like that can read the error codes.