General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

05 Accord Hybrid - Recharged AC System and various questions

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2015, 09:11 AM
Newest Of Newbies
Default 05 Accord Hybrid - Recharged AC System and various questions

My 05 Accord Hybrid started feeling less able to cool the interior over the last 1-2 years since I can remember, but due to driving short distances I never really stated to notice this until 2 weeks ago when I stated using the car for a much longer daily commute.

I decided to get one of these AC recharge KITs (Arctic Freeze) and initial checks showed the low pressure to be about 25psi which is at the bottom of the Green scale. I pumped in some refrigerant which I believe was too much so I had to release some out. The AC works perfectly with vent temps at 37 degrees. I set my Interior Temp at about 74 degrees and I can feel very comfortable even with 90 degrees on the outside. However one thing I noticed is that after a long drive when I park the car and let the engine idle I can hear the cooling fans turning on for 5 seconds, then I hear a noticeable 'clank" sound and the fans stop for about 5 seconds and then they turn back on. Since the system was undercharged for the last few years and cannot remember hearing this sound. When the Autostop is engaged (Engine shutting off at traffic) and the AC is running on electric and do not hear this sound.

1. Is this Clank sound normal(Clutch engage/disengage?)
2. Could there be a chance that the system is still overcharged?

When idle with the ac on with the KIT Hose gauge the Low side pressure varies from 35 to 50 PSI which is within the normal range based on ambient temp and when the engine is off and low side pressure is about 120psi. Maybe it is time to get some real gauges.

Thanks

Old 07-20-2015, 07:10 PM
Super Moderator

I'm not a "hybrid" owner or know that much about how they work......but I'm going to guess there is nothing driving the ac belt when the engine is off......I'm using my '16 Pilot with "auto stop" as a ref.

In my Pilot, at a light and the engine cuts off, yes the ac still blows but once it gets below the set point the engine will re-start to run the ac compressor and cool the inside back to another set point.....then repeat if at a light for a very long time.

So the sound is hard to call.....could be normal or a sign of an issue with the compressor.

I personally don't like to add refrig to an HVAC unit with out seeing/knowing both the high and low side pressures but that is me.