General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

'05 Accord LX Coupe - Electrical System Cuts Off While Driving

Old 01-19-2011, 03:22 PM
Default '05 Accord LX Coupe - Electrical System Cuts Off While Driving

I have a 2005 Honda Accord LX Coupe with 46K miles on it. Over the last week or so my car's electrical system has sporadically cut off while I am driving down the road. It has happened about 5-6 times, two of which were today. Typically, I will be driving down the road and the display powers completely off (no MPH, RPM, lights, etc) as well as the radio, clock, and headlights. Once, the car turned off completely and I had to drift to the side of the road to put it in park and restart.

It seems fairly similar to the Recall (Recall ID # 05V132000 - ELECTRICAL SYSTEM:FUSES AND CIRCUIT BREAKERS) symptoms but Honda's website and dealership say that my VIN isn't in that lot.

Any suggestions?

Old 01-19-2011, 03:53 PM
Super Moderator

It may be the driver's side multiplex/fuse/relay box, the main relay, or the ignition switch.

The Honda TSB # A05-014 for the multiplex/fuse/relay box is here:

dvpatel.homelinux.com/forumfiles/SB/A05-014.PDF

The Honda TSB # A07-020 for the main relay is here:

dvpatel.homelinux.com/forumfiles/SB/A07-020.PDF

Old 01-19-2011, 03:54 PM
Super Moderator

Can you get the car to stall out by shaking the key while it is running?

Old 01-19-2011, 07:10 PM

Originally Posted by PAhonda
Can you get the car to stall out by shaking the key while it is running?
No, it will not stall out by shaking the key in the ignition while it's running.

I took the car to Advance Auto and used their diagnostic machine and it came up with code P0685 (Engine Control Module/Powertrain Control Module Power Relay Control Circuit Open. The light then went off but continued to keep shutting off the electric intermittently.

Last edited by hcorb29; 01-19-2011 at 07:17 PM.
Old 01-19-2011, 07:21 PM
Super Moderator

DTC P0685: ECM/PCM Power Control Circuit Malfunction
  1. Turn the ignition switch ON (II).
  2. Clear the DTC with the HDS.
  3. Check for Temporary DTCs or DTCs with the HDS. Are any Temporary DTCs or DTCs indicated? YES - Update the ECM/PCM if it does not have the latest software, or substitute a known-good ECM/PCM, then recheck. If the symptom/indication goes away with a known-good ECM/PCM, replace the original ECM/PCM. NO - Intermittent failure, system is OK at this time.
Disconnect the negative battery cable for a short while to try to clear the trouble code. You will need your radio code afterward though.

Old 01-19-2011, 08:56 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by hcorb29
The light then went off but continued to keep shutting off the electric intermittently.
If it keeps shutting off and you get the P0685 code again, it may very well be the ECM/PCM. If it is, a replacement ECM/PCM will need to trip to the dealer to reprogram for the keys due to the immobilizer.

Old 01-20-2011, 06:54 AM
Super Moderator

If you get an ECM (say from a junkyard) then you can TRY it like this.

Tape the 2 keys together (yours and one from the donor car) with handles together & blades sticking opposite. Now the immobilizer antenna (around the key cylinder) will pick up both RFID chips & the one that matches the ECM will make the immobilizer happy so it'll work.

Old 01-20-2011, 08:08 AM

Originally Posted by redbull-1
If it keeps shutting off and you get the P0685 code again, it may very well be the ECM/PCM. If it is, a replacement ECM/PCM will need to trip to the dealer to reprogram for the keys due to the immobilizer.
Well, despite my best efforts to stay away, I've got a trip to the dealer scheduled for tomorrow. From what I've read online, if it is indeed the ECM/PCM, it is covered under the emissions warranty for 8 years/80k miles. Has anyone had any experience with this?

Old 01-20-2011, 08:20 AM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by hcorb29
Well, despite my best efforts to stay away, I've got a trip to the dealer scheduled for tomorrow. From what I've read online, if it is indeed the ECM/PCM, it is covered under the emissions warranty for 8 years/80k miles.
Yes, the ECM/PCM is covered under the Federal emission warranty of 8 years/80k miles. I was thinking about the problem last night, it may turn out to be something simpler. Good luck.

Old 01-28-2011, 08:50 AM

Wanted to give an update. Took my car to the dealer last Thursday night. On the way to the dealer (approximately 5 miles away) the electrical shut down 7 times. The dealer didn't get around to looking at it until late Friday (which, needless to say, didn't make me too happy). The service manager said "Well, we know there's something wrong, but we aren't sure what." I felt like saying no $h!t! They said they wouldn't look at it over the weekend but would make it a priority on Monday. Monday rolls around and they say that they can't reproduce the issue and it's not throwing a code anymore, so they don't know.

I picked the car up Monday afternoon and it hasn't done it since I got it back. I figure I will just wait it out until it happens again. Frustrating to say the least.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: '05 Accord LX Coupe - Electrical System Cuts Off While Driving