General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

'05 Accord LX Coupe - Electrical System Cuts Off While Driving

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-2011, 10:50 AM
Default My 05 Accord has the same problem even after ECU replaced

Hi

I been researching a lot for past 2 months since my 05 started acting up. It does the same thing like the original thread creator mentions. When I drive in the highway, the panel shuts off and comes right back but when I drive slowly or standing in the light, it shuts off the engine as well. I started happening Jul of this year. I took it to the dealer a month ago since I have the check engine light code said P0685 - ECU mal function and should be covered by 8yr/80k Fed warranty. They didn't replace ECU but it happened 2 days after replacing it. It happened frequently for few days and stopped. Today, it happened again when I was waiting to take the freeway and engine just stopped after shacking. I immediately went to the dealer and dropped the car complaining about it. Check engine light is on again. Hope they find the root cause of the problem and fix it. It really not safe to drive with this issue.

Is there any way to report to Honda HQ and ask them to investigate it?

Vijai

Old 08-16-2011, 08:38 PM

After several months of not acting up, my car started to exhibit the same symptoms in May. I took it to the dealer (again) and they said they couldn't pull the code unless I could wait three hours. I told them that if I turned the car off, the code would likely clear. While the service manager was talking with the mechanics to see if they could help me, one of the valet sort of people moved my car and shut it off. Needless to say, the code cleared itself.

I talked with my boyfriends father about the problem that I had been having and told him the code that came from the diagnostic I ran on the car at Advanced Auto and he said that I should try to change the gas cap. He said it may, or may not, help but it's only $10 so worth a shot. I changed the gas cap and have since had no issues.

I would recommend giving that a shot. It may not work, but it seems like Honda is not going to be any help to anyone with this issue, and it's an inexpensive trick to try.

Best of luck!

Old 01-22-2012, 02:51 PM

I would suggest a few things (cheapest-More expensive) the code is a ECM power control circuit malfuntion. Probable causes listed as open or short circuit condition, and or ..... hate to say it but failed ecm. 1. check and clean your battery terminals, if they are corroded or loose then you will have intermittent issues with the power. 2. the ecm relay is a quick fix, replace that first before tearing in any further. 3. There is a TSB out on the Relay box itself underneath the hood. check the ground of the box and make sure it is clean and tight. If there is still issues you might have to change the box itself, i am having the same issue which is why i signed on. As a broke mechanical engineering student i can't afford these fixes quite yet. Maybe we can work off of eachother "i give you tips, you give me conclusions?" next is the worse. changing the ecm itself. Don't do this until all other options are run through.. this is a very expensive fix.. but the TSB says changing the box should fix our issue, havent checked how much it is because i know i can't afford it.. Let me know if this is any help, remember, sometimes you have to do your research and give the techs a little fire under the butt.. They don't depend on your car as much as you do..

-hope this helps-

Last edited by 03' J-spec; 01-22-2012 at 03:01 PM. Reason: thread wasn't fully downloaded