General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

My 94 accord wagon cuts out while driving

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-2008, 12:14 AM
dmlagrange
Unregistered
Default My 94 accord wagon cuts out while driving

hello everyone.. maybe someone can help me out, my wagon seems to be running fine and then it cuts out.. as if the engine was shut off. This happens while driving, it stalls, the check engine and ABS lights come on, then in a few minutes it starts back up, and this will happen over and over. can anyone give me an idea of what to check? Its a 5 spd 2.2 liter with 170,000. Thanks !

Old 09-01-2008, 12:22 AM
Super Moderator
Default RE: My 94 accord wagon cuts out while driving

i would start with the ignition and fuel delivery systems

Old 09-01-2008, 12:44 AM
Super Moderator

Since check engine light is on, get codes for the check engine light and post them on here. Follow the instructions in this link:

http://www.dhost.info/accordinfo/howto/cel.html

I use a thin paperclip to short the connector.

Old 09-01-2008, 12:58 AM
dmlagrange
Unregistered

hey, the check engine light does not stay on, it only comes on when the car dies and then goes off when it is running again, is there not a code stored if the light isnt on?

Old 09-01-2008, 10:50 AM
Super Moderator : And A Texan

When car won't start, check whether fuel pump comes on for 2 secs and then off when keyswitch is turned to ON. Listen carefully for fuel pump buzz from trunk area or get someone to turn key while you listen at filler pipe w/ cap removed. If no fuel pump action, the main fuel relay (MFR) is suspect, although it could be fuel pump.

If fuel pump is OK, then ignition is more likely. A good check for ignition is to use a timing light to check for flash when engine is turned over. No flash = no spark. Alternatively, you can ground a spare spark plug to engine and connect to one spark plug lead. Use stick to hold firmly grounded. Have someone turn engine over while you look for spark at the plug.

No spark means either ignitor, coil, or keyswitch is faulty. Check for 12V to the distributor (Blk/Yel wire at distributor connector) w/ keyswitch to ON. No voltage means keyswitch contacts have failed. Check DIY procedures for distinguishing between ignitor or coil. Coil is usual culprit.

good luck

Old 10-09-2008, 11:36 AM
dmlagrange
Unregistered

Hello just wanted to get back to everyone on this post, I later posted another question that lead to fixing this problem, but it turned out to be a faulty IGNITOR. (This was causing a trouble code 15, which is "missing or defective output signal" ) The car is once again running great, wanted to thank everyone for their help!

Old 01-22-2017, 09:09 AM
Newest Of Newbies

Originally Posted by dmlagrange
Hello just wanted to get back to everyone on this post, I later posted another question that lead to fixing this problem, but it turned out to be a faulty IGNITOR. (This was causing a trouble code 15, which is "missing or defective output signal" ) The car is once again running great, wanted to thank everyone for their help!

I am having the same problem with my Honda Accord 1993.
Same code- 15, Is it a fix that won't send me to the poor house, or something that i can do possibly?

Old 01-22-2017, 11:11 AM
Super Moderator : And A Texan

Replacing ignitor is easy but does require distributor removal, removal of a few wires to ignitor, ignitor replacement.

A shop repair would probably be in the range of 1-hr labor plus parts; $75-$100. Total should be < $200.

good luck