General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

05 Accord V6.....Compressor clutch coil replacement.

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-2015, 03:53 PM
Default 05 Accord V6.....Compressor clutch coil replacement.

Picked up a 05 accord with 87K miles. In good shape mechanically except that it needs the field coil replaced on the compressor. The clutch wont engage and Ive verified that direct 12 volts to it wont engage it. Ive also verified it does have a good ground.

Is there a way to replace the coil without removing the thing from the car itself?

Old 08-09-2015, 10:01 PM

Originally Posted by atxjax
Picked up a 05 accord with 87K miles. In good shape mechanically except that it needs the field coil replaced on the compressor. The clutch wont engage and Ive verified that direct 12 volts to it wont engage it. Ive also verified it does have a good ground.

Is there a way to replace the coil without removing the thing from the car itself?
Yes, you can do that. You need to make sure that you remove the snap ring that holds the clutch to the compressor shaft first, then use a standard puller to remove the clutch from the compressor shaft. However, the price of a new clutch is the same, or more than a complete re-manufactured compressor. That, and even with the snap ring removed, you risk doing damage to the compressor itself when removing the clutch. You cannot just replace the coil itself, it is integral with the compressor clutch. You'll need to have the system evacuated first before doing any work on it, and then remove and replace the compressor. Trust me on this, it is much easier and less painful to just bite the bullet and have it done at an AC certified shop. I'm MACS certified, done this kind of work previously and honestly, wouldn't recommend anyone without experience attempting what you're asking.....sean

Old 08-09-2015, 10:13 PM

My understanding is you remove the outside 10mm bolt. The plate comes off and there in a shim you gotta be careful of. Then a snap ring which once that is off you can slide the pulley out. Then after those are off the field coil has another snap ring.

Just like in this video. Same compressor and all. Once all put back together you got to make sure the distance between the plate and pulley is 0.014-0.024 inches. I sourced a field coil for $32 shipped online.

Attached Thumbnails 05 Accord V6.....Compressor clutch coil replacement.-magclutch.jpg  

Last edited by atxjax; 08-09-2015 at 10:23 PM.
Old 08-10-2015, 07:53 AM
Super Moderator : And A Texan

Have you checked that clutch gap is not the problem?

If pushing clutch plate w/ screwdriver causes plate to close, gap is excessive and removal of a shim to reduce gap should fix the problem.

You're on the right path.

good luck

Old 08-10-2015, 10:04 AM

What I do with them is remove the lower plastic couling, remove the four mounting bolts to the block and there is enough to play in the A/C lines to move the compressor around so you can get the clutch and field coil off without opening the system. You need the tools to do the job. Make sure you have a good set off retainer ring pliers. So to answers your question, yes, I do them on the vehicles.

IMPORTANT NOTE: Contact your Honda dealer first. They extended the warranty to 100k for the field coil on several of their vehicles, but I can remember if yours falls into the category.

Also, first check the field coil by jumping it with 12v from the battery. If it clicks then it is not the field coil but rather something with the clutch as stated above. It may be a shim. If it does not click then it is the field coil which is a rather common problem.

Good luck!

Last edited by Turtlehead; 08-10-2015 at 10:08 AM.
Old 08-10-2015, 05:19 PM

Thanks guys. I can apply 12 direct from the battery and it doesnt pull in. With vehicle on I can tap the clutch and it wont pull in either even though there is 14 volts at the connector and the ground is good.. So my coil is toast.

They are about $40. I appreciate your reply that it can be done on the car. Do I need to remove the alternator a bit more room?

Last edited by atxjax; 08-10-2015 at 05:22 PM.
Old 08-11-2015, 05:46 AM

You don't have to remove the alternator.

Old 08-11-2015, 07:27 AM

Awesome. Do I need to buy a hold down tool for the clutch plate? Or will the bolt come off with maybe a strap wrench or so?

Old 08-11-2015, 12:51 PM

I use an air gun. They are not torqued much, for some reason 18ft lbs comes to mind. A warp strap and a quick whack on a wrench or breaker bar should loosen no problem.

Old 08-31-2015, 11:12 AM

Was able to take care of it this weekend. I used one of the below vise grips to hold the clutch down to remove the bolt.

Then everything came apart just like the diagram above. I did have to unbolt the compressor and work it from the front. Just have some good snap ring pliers and a good 12mm ratcheting box end will help get the top drivers side bolt from the compressor off.

AC works fantastic now.