General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

05 Accord wont start

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-2010, 10:31 PM
Default 05 Accord wont start

Good evening... looking for any suggestions to help with a problem that suddenly developed with my 05 accord v6. The problem is the car wont start. I drove the car out of town, about 120 miles from home and it ran fine. We stopped for lunch and, after after lunch, the car would not start (about 40 minutes). The car has 83k miles on it but never has had any issues prior to this.

The car cranks as normal and sometimes seems as if it wants to start but wont. At best, it kicks over and sputters, and then dies.. When this happens, the rpms never get above a couple hundred and it will only do this for about 3 seconds.

In testing the car, I listened by the driver side back wheel as I had someone turn the key to the on position but I never heard the fuel pump run. Left the key in the on position for upto a minute in hopes of pressurizing the fuel system but that did not help. While trying to start the car, I could not hear any clicking from inside the cabin related to the master fuel relay which other posts have mentioned. I could hear the starter which sounded healthy.

The car does have a viper remote starter so I thought this might be the culprit but I don't think it is as the remote will lock and unlock the doors, and when the start button is pressed, it attempts to start the car with the same results as when I try to start the car with the key.

Reviewed the engine bay but nothing looked wrong as far as I could tell by eye. Battery looks good and all connections look sound. Fuel tank is over half fuel which is accurate as it was filled up the other day. Weather conditions today were dry and mid 80's, nothing abnormal. Unfortunately, being away from home and not knowing anyone in the area, I had no access to tools to further test. I came back to the car after about 4 hours (dark and colder outside at this point) and tried starting it again but no change in its response.

I was able to get a ride home but had to leave the car where it died. I will be going back to it tomorrow to trailer it home but was hoping that somebody could help point me in a direction to troubleshoot. Right now, I am leaning to fuel relay or the fuel pump but I am not experienced with Honda's so any insight you could offer would be much appreciated.

Thank you

Old 09-27-2010, 02:04 AM
Super Moderator

I am not as familiar with the 05 wiring. It could be the fuel pump or relay.

I would try to disable the security system, because those can create a lot of problems if they fail.

Old 09-27-2010, 09:15 PM

Thanks for the suggestion and I agree with you about security systems creating problems when they fail... I towed the car home today and pulled the fuel pump relay ... initial quick test seems to show that the relay is defective. New relay should come in tomorrow so that should hopefully get the car up and running.

For those that encounter the same problem and need to find this relay, it is located above the fuses on the fuse panel inside the car- hard to read but the plastic is engraved advising which one it is (bottom row on the left of the relay section). To see and and access it, the full kick panel needs to be removed.

thanks