General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

06 Accord AC Relief Valve...help is appreciated

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-2008, 05:33 PM
richny
Unregistered
Default 06 Accord AC Relief Valve...help is appreciated

Have an 06 accord 4cyl auto. Added R134 through my manifold(and watched the gauges carefully)as well as a little ac oil. As I added the can of R134 the compressor let loose a lot of freon through the pressure relief valve. Made no sense, the dials on my manifold indicated everything should have been ok. I tried again and sure enough it blew again through the valve.
Do you think my compressor is shot? Or could it be a defective pressure relief valve?

Any help is greatly appreciated.
Rich

Old 05-26-2008, 12:08 PM
Been Around A Long Time Member
Default RE: 06 Accord AC Relief Valve...help is appreciated

no. your 06 accord doesnt need any more freon unless you have a leak. so the release sounds legit

Old 05-26-2008, 01:17 PM
Super Moderator : And A Texan

A faulty relief valve is possible, but unlikely. More likely the gauges are not measuring high pressure correctly (be sure you are hooked up correctly w/ high and low sides isolated. High side valve closed and only open low side valve to admit refrigerant) , or you have a blockage upstream (flow direction) of the point you are measuring high pressure. Is low pressure side very low, < 15 psi? If yes, there may be a blockage.

Why were you charging, low performance? Do you know the system was low on R134a (low high and low side pressures w/ frequent on/off cycling of compressor) or were you charging "blind" to improve performance.

If pressures on high side were 150-250 psig and low side was 20-30 psig, you may indeed have a faulty relief valve.

good luck

Old 05-26-2008, 02:17 PM
richny
Unregistered

It actually blew out most of the freon from the relief valve. The reason for charging in the first place is my low was around 20. I think I do have a blockage as my high side almost went up to 400 then back down again when I charged.

I have been doing this for years and never had an issue with any past vehicles...it looks like a blockage or a faulty compressor.

Old 05-26-2008, 02:28 PM
Super Moderator : And A Texan

It could be receiver/drier, condensor, or expansion valve. Probably best to assume all and flush/clean the system. You will need to pull the expansion valve. Look for compressor debris in condensor, evaporator and receiver/drier oil, if you can pour any out. Watch for debris when you flush w/a screen to catch any. If any debris, you need a new compressor. High pressures suggest compressor may be OK, but the blockage debris had to come from somewhere.

You'll need a vacuum pump to recharge, New receiver/drier, and maybe a new expansion valve.

good luck