General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

'06 Accord Brakes Question

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-2008, 12:02 AM
Newest Of Newbies
Default '06 Accord Brakes Question

OK, I was told that I may need new back brakes at my next service as the pads were at 5mm. I was given a price quote from the dealer for approximately $300 to resurface the rotors and get new pads and service the calipers. I have since been given a quote of approximately $230 for new rotors and pads installed at a local tire store that also does brakes/suspension/state inspections/etc. I bought my tires at this place (Dunn Tire) and have never had a problem with anything they've done with my current car as well as my previous car.First off, I have had this car a little over 2 years and the calipers have been serviced by the dealer FOUR TIMES!!! The dealer says they need to be serviced AGAIN when the back brakes need to be done, now is this really necessary? The owner's manual makes no mention of this (to the best of my knowledge), it's something the dealer does every time the "B Service" is required. I have almost56,000 miles on this car thus the reason the B Service has come up so many times. Dunn Tire has told me they use CarQuest parts. So my question is this, does CarQuestmake decent rotors and pads for Honda cars? I can only imagine what the dealer will want if I had to get new rotors and pads. This is something I need to plan for financially over the next couple months and thus any advice on this would be appreciated.

Old 10-14-2008, 07:13 AM
Super Moderator
Default RE: '06 Accord Brakes Question

Theres nothing strange orbizzare about the rear calipers to prevent a non-dealer from doing a good job. Ive used Brembo rotors, dont know much about CarQuest.

When I work on thebrakes, I always clean up the caliper slide pins & make sure the pads dont bind tightly in the caliper brackets. Usually that means clean out the rust& crud. Maybe thats what they mean by CALIPER SERVICE... and maybe Dunn does this as a matter of course?

If the brakes have been dragging, they may have overheated. That would cause the rubber seals & stuff to need replacing. It would also explain why you needed brakes so often.

Old 10-14-2008, 11:01 AM
Newest Of Newbies

Thanks for above info. Just to clarify, I have never had to put brakes on this car since I've owned it and I bought it brand-new. The dealer just states in their "B Service" that the calipers have to be serviced, and based on the fact that I've had the B Service done 4 times, the calipers have been serviced that many times, I haven't had to do this outside of regular B Service intervals. Anyone here used CarQuest parts, please state here your experience with them...

Old 10-14-2008, 11:13 AM
Super Moderator

The *B* service for my 2007 Civic seems to be an inspection& maybe cleaning. So I guessthats not out-of-line.

Old 10-14-2008, 11:28 AM
Been Around A Long Time Member

Just to add a point .... at 60k, new rotors might not be a bad idea. Honda has been known to have cr@ppy rotors that are prone to warping ..... a pair of Brembos can be had for under $100. I've had very good experiences with Brembo Sport drilled rotors, but they are almost 4 times the price.

Old 10-14-2008, 01:11 PM

the brakes on my 07 are crap, pure and simple.

At about 16k miles, the dealer did a good will rotor resurface and pad replacement on the front, cause there was a severe shimmy when braking at high speed (our speed limit is 75). The car now has 31k on it, and guess what is happening? More shimmy. I am going to try to get them to replace them, under more good will. I swear, this car was built on a Friday.

If they don't replace them, I plan to replace all 4 rotors with a higher performance product, and the corresponding pads as well (as soon as my warranty is up). Not sure about the calipers. This car has been so aggravating that I may not keep it as long as I had originally planned.

Old 10-14-2008, 01:12 PM

oh, and my advice to the OP is that if you have any mechanical capability and a driveway, do it yourself. Spend the money you'd pay a shop and buy the tools (not many) and the shop manual.