General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

06 Accord - Need to kill power to tow

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2011, 10:33 AM
Default 06 Accord - Need to kill power to tow

I have an 06 Accord, 6 speed MT, that I will be towing behind my motorhome. I need to be able to disconnect the power while towing so the battery does not run down, and disconnecting the battery each time is not a good option.

I need to know if there is a main fuse that can be pulled to stop the electrical draw, and where it is, and would then like to build a switch that can be activated from inside the car to restore that power.

Right now, urgent need is to find that fuse and pull it so I can tow.

Thanks for any direction or suggestions.

Kim

Old 03-11-2011, 11:50 AM
Super Moderator

Why is disconnecting the battery not an option?

All you need to disconnect the battery is a 10mm socket. Just disconnect the negative terminal of the battery. You can leave the battery in place and keep the positive terminal connected. Just tuck the negative terminal away, so it can not touch the battery terminal.

Old 03-11-2011, 11:57 AM

Originally Posted by PAhonda
Why is disconnecting the battery not an option?
As stated, it's not a good option; yes, it's an option.

Often, hitching and unhitching is done at night or in bad weather. A more reasonable solution is to not be under the hood in that situation.

I am still looking for a master fuse to disconnect to kill the power draw.

Old 03-11-2011, 12:08 PM
Super Moderator

There should be a main fuse also. It's big, like 80 or 100 amps, & it's installed with screws (not push-in).

Seems to me it's easier to pull the negative battery cable. Tie it down with duct tape?

Old 03-11-2011, 08:26 PM
Super Moderator

There are "quick disconnect" battery terminals you can look into. I have these on the Chevelle. Almost like a simple "wing nut" connection but you are still "under the hood in that situation". Not sure what you are wanting "inside" the car? Or do you wire a "battery tender" from the motor home to the car you are towing....Just an idea.

Old 03-11-2011, 08:36 PM
Newest Of Newbies

You could put an inline kill switch, or run the kill switch into the vehicle through the firewall. It would just act as a power switch. That is what they do with the older military vehicles so the batteries will now drain and not be stolen because there are no door locks and it is a push start.