General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

07 Accord - Which Fuel Pump?

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-2015, 03:09 PM
Default 07 Accord - Which Fuel Pump?

I own an 07 Accord and apparently my fuel level sending unit has gone bad because the low fuel indicator stays on regardless of fuel level and the needle shows empty. It's my understanding (correct me if wrong) that the sending unit is part of the fuel pump, so I have to replace the entire thing.

I see in threads about other Hondas that getting the correct brand of pump matters. Looking at an on line parts supplier I see both YACHIYO and KAUTEX brands offered. Without removing my existing pump, how can I determine which brand I need?

Old 04-15-2015, 06:05 PM
Super Moderator

Online I don't see the "decision" - yes at the dealer websites they list the two "makers" but if you go to "denso" and look it up there isn't an unknown decision.

Old 04-15-2015, 09:23 PM

Ok so dependent on where you look on line they may sell pumps from only one manufacturer or more. I'll state my question in a different manner.

In threads about fuel level sending units for other Hondas that I read, there was a difference in resistance (ohms) between one manufacturer versus another. I'm asking if that would be the case here or if either brand of pump/sending unit will function properly in conjunction with the fuel gauge.

Old 04-15-2015, 10:07 PM
Super Moderator

The fuel pump/fuel gauge sending unit to get depends on your Accord model, whether it is a SULEV or a non-SULEV. The resistance for the fuel gauge sending unit is different for the two models. In addition, for the SULEV, the fuel gauge sending unit is separately available from Honda, unlike for the non-SULEV (which Honda sells as an assembly with the fuel pump).

Check the emission sticker on your car under the hood.

Old 04-16-2015, 05:45 AM

Go to Bernardi Honda web site, go to the parts section, search by your VIN and then look at the part. It will tell you which pump you currently have.

Old 04-16-2015, 08:26 AM

Thank You redbull-1 and Turtlehead. You have been most helpful!

Old 04-16-2015, 01:00 PM

Best of luck. Keep us posted on the fix. Often times when running higher sulfur mom and pop gas will cause the float to stick. Sometimes it is as simple as running some BG44K or Honda fuel system cleaner through it to loosen it but it sounds like it is really stuck.

Old 04-16-2015, 10:36 PM
Super Moderator

Gasoline is highly regulated and has a max amount of sulfur 30 ppm.

On accords after 02, the gauge and the low fuel light are driven by the same component in the sending unit. The gauges are driven digitally by a control unit and not driven by analog like older accords.

I'd suggest buying the shop manual for your accord on a site like automanualsource.com for ~$22, it is well worth the money if you plan on DIY work. It will describe how to do the B-CAN and gauge test.

Old 04-17-2015, 01:46 PM

Ok here is the update. I tried the Bernardi Honda website with my VIN, Trim, etc but there were still two options of fuel pumps, so I called them and spoke to Chris. He nor his co-worker were sure so the called America Honda National Tech line who said, it shouldn't matter but they recommended pulling the existing pump to get the part number off of it. By the way I did look for "SULEV" on my emissions sticker as redbull-1 suggested, but I didn't see those characters listed.

So as I pulled the access cover to remove the fuel pump I found a broken wire! Soldered that back together and it's working fine! Must be my lucky day. I appreciate everyone's help with this matter and hope the research and what I found helps others.

Old 04-17-2015, 02:07 PM
Super Moderator

Good to hear issue was just due to a damaged wire and was resolved.