General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

07 Accord V6 No/Occassional Start

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-2018, 12:40 PM
Post 07 Accord V6 No/Occassional Start

07 Accord:
Lets start from the beginning. It began with me turning my key and nothing but I would turn it back and try again and it would start just fine. This happen only occasionally for about two weeks before it I couldn't get it to start. Turns out my battery was leaking and my negative ground terminal and cable was completely corroded and my positive terminal also had some corrosion although not as severe. I cleaned the positive terminal and the negative terminal and cable with a baking soda/water mixture and wire brush and replaced the battery with a new one (it was still under warranty.) I thought that was the end of my problems. It started doing the occasional no crank when I turned my key but would crank after turning off and back on a time or two again so I figured the ground cable was just shot and needed replaced bc it was so corroded initially so my husband replaced it for me. And it only happened like one time in an entire week. Then he changed my oil and I crank it to pull it off the ramps so he could check all my fluid levels properly, turned it off and its given me problems since. I think its my starter but just want to be sure its not the ignition switch before I buy a new starter and have him replace it. He had to leave for work the next day and cant check it and rock auto is about $40 cheaper on the starter for a better brand than the parts house.

Old 11-06-2018, 01:35 PM
Super Moderator

Try the caveman test...

A common starter failure is when the brushes get worn to the point they occasionally don't make contact. With someone holding the key to START, hit the starter with a broom handle or something. If that makes the starter run, that's it.

Unfortunately, if that doesn't make it run, the test doesn't prove anything - it could still be a bad starter.
------------------------------
Not sure how good is the access to the V-6 starter? Connect a voltmeter to the small wire on the starter - that's the +12v signal from the ignition switch. If you can "catch it in the act", a bad starter will fail to run even when it gets 12v from that signal wire. If that wire doesn't get power, you'll have a handful of other things to check including the ignition switch, neutral-interlock (or clutch interlock for a manual trans), etc.
------------------------
Just so I'm not taking anything for granted, I'm assuming the starter doesn't spin the engine. That's what you mean when you say you get "nothing".

Old 11-06-2018, 02:20 PM

Yes, by "nothing" I mean the engine doesn't turn over. But that wasn't proper terminology bc I do get the "click" from the starter when it will not crank and sometimes (not always) I can hear a buzz that sounds like its coming from my ignition. It will crank when I hit the starter with a piece of wood I have but I guess what gets me it has crank with out having to tap the starter. Is the wire you are talking about the black and white wire that runs into the starter? Is that what I would need to test? and would a 12volt test light work? I don't have one that tells me the actual voltage number.

Old 11-06-2018, 02:38 PM
Been Around A Long Time Member

If it cranks with you tapping it replace the starter. Do not look too much into it. Also the buzz sound is not coming from your ignition it comes from the fuse box. Replace the starter then see if everything works. From my experience usually the starter starts to give it long before someone decides do replace it then have the ignition switch act up. A lot of the time both the starter and ignition switch on the 06-07 models get replaced at the same time due to neglecting the signs of a starter failure. Then 12 months later the ignition started to fail having you to replace both at the same time. I suggest replacing the starter. You should be good from there.

Old 11-06-2018, 02:38 PM

Originally Posted by Chezzie Massey
Yes, by "nothing" I mean the engine doesn't turn over. But that wasn't proper terminology bc I do get the "click" from the starter when it will not crank and sometimes (not always) I can hear a buzz that sounds like its coming from my ignition. It will crank when I hit the starter with a piece of wood I have but I guess what gets me it has crank with out having to tap the starter. Is the wire you are talking about the black and white wire that runs into the starter? Is that what I would need to test? and would a 12volt test light work? I don't have one that tells me the actual voltage number.
Without a wiring diagram in front of me, I couldn't tell you if that's the correct one or not. Most Hondas have 2 wires going to the starter. One is a big fat one that goes to the battery, while the 2nd one is less than half that size. That's the one to check.
However you mention hitting it with a piece of wood brings it to life, so I'd say you've got a starter on it's way out.
Get a Denso starter if you can. They're the best quality one.

Old 11-06-2018, 02:50 PM

Okay, that's what we were planning on doing. I was just wanting to ask around and be resourceful before I ordered it. Thanks. I'll update with the outcome after the hubby replaces the starter.

Old 11-06-2018, 02:58 PM
Super Moderator

Sounds like you've already tested by hitting the starter & that makes it run. To me that already points to a bad starter.

The click from the starter is a solenoid closing to provide power from the large bolted cable to the starter motor. The brushes in the starter motor are likely worn down so depending on how the motor comes to a stop, they make contact or they don't. Occasional buzzing sound is probably actually coming from a relay under the dash near the steering column.

I don't have a 2007 wiring diagram, but there's only 2 wires on the starter. A real big one that's bolted on, which comes directly from the battery terminal. The signal wire I'm talking about is a small wire with a blade push-on type connection. A test lamp is OK because you're just looking for that wire to have battery-voltage or not. The large bolted wire always has battery voltage so be careful about touching that & making a shower of sparks.

edit... got distracted while replying & others beat me to it.

Last edited by JimBlake; 11-06-2018 at 03:00 PM.
Old 11-06-2018, 03:14 PM

Best place to order the starter online for the best price but NOT JUNK PARTS? I've never had any luck ordering parts online. They always come in faulty and require us returning and just having to buy local and basically installing the part 2-3 times. Weighing my options bc my local parts houses don't offer the densco.

Old 11-06-2018, 03:49 PM

You will be fine ordering from RockAuto getting the denso starter

Last edited by Seanjordan20; 11-06-2018 at 03:51 PM.