General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

2007 Accord V-6 very hard to start, first start of day

Old 10-26-2012, 10:16 AM
Default 2007 Accord V-6 very hard to start, first start of day

I have a 2007 Honda Accord 3.0 V-6, auto, EXL-NaV.
I have owned the car for about 5 months and put 7 thousand miles on it.
The car now has 27000 thousand miles on it.

It was a certified car, one owner, sold from same dealer, with all the maintenance records. The car is emaculate inside and out and appears to be perfectly maintained.

It gets 25-26 mpg average per tank, mixed driving.

Starting two weeks ago, we returned home from a trip, arrived at the airport and walked out to the parkinglot. I tried to start the car and it cranked for about 15 seconds. (Never did this before, It would start up the first time every time). It finally started but stumbled and hesitated running at 500-600 rpms. The check engine light flashed 4-5 times (not sure exactly) then it cleared up when I pressed the accelorater.

We got on the road and drove home, about 100 miles...I notice a slight vibration....now...about 2000-2500rpm...enough to make a heat sheild rattle on the exhaust that I never heard before.

We used the car the rest of the weekend and it seemed fine. Other than the first start of the day and the slight vibrations as mentioned above. I took it to the dealership and they found no trouble codes stored. The tech took it out and drove it and came back saying the car drove great. I was not satisfied with this and went to the service manager. He drove it, talked to several other techs including their two master techs and they were all in agreement that the car is fine.

I took it home. It has been two weeks. Still have to crank 10-15 seconds first start of the day (7am) (70 degrees in garage) It stumbles and hesitates, cleans out and runs fine. Mileage has been the same. No trouble codes. But a distinct vibration in steering wheel and dash that the engine does not seem as smooth as once was. It all started that day we got home, I know the engine is not right.

Any advise? I have wrote to some other tech sites and one Honda Platinum Tech sent me a TSB and diagrams and info for a faulty fuel pressure regulator. I went to the honda dealership to buy this new part and low and behold my car does not have this fuel regulator on the fuel rail....its integrated in the fuel pump/fuel filter assyembly. So much for their platinum techs.

Any advise?

Old 10-26-2012, 09:33 PM
Super Moderator

Does it happen the first start of EVERY day? If so, you can check some things out.

Turn the key to ON but don't immediately turn it to START. Listen for the fuel pump to run for 2 seconds then stop. It's kinda quiet, so you'll want all the vantilation & music turned off so you can hear it. Or have someone listen at the open fuel fill cap. If the LACK of fuel pump always happens together with non-starting, there's a couple things to check for (main relay vs. a bad pump).

Another thing is that pausing for the fuel pump to run allows the pressure to build up. If the problem comes from lack of pressure, then you'll find the easiest starting if you turn the key to START after the pump runs, before it quits running.

We could still go with the fuel pressure... even with the FPR in the tank, it needs to maintain the proper pressure. Rent/borrow a fuel pressure gauge & measure it. Even if you had a 2002 or older (applies to that TSB) you still should check it before throwing parts at it.