General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

replaced throttle body now downshifting very hard PLEASE HELP!!

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-2009, 04:14 PM
johnnym
Unregistered
Default replaced throttle body now downshifting very hard PLEASE HELP!!

hey guys and girls im in need of some help and found this site i have a 2003 honda accord ex with a 2.4 4 cyl

my cars check engine light came on and was running like ****.almost stalling and idling very rough so i went down to autozone had them read the code and it was the tps sensor i later found out that you have to change the whole throttle body just to replace the tps sensor. so i got the part from the dealer and installed it myself . its idling perfect and not stalling out now but when i am driving and apply the brakes the car downshifts hard and im not sure why.

i tried adjusting the throttle cables per my haynes repair manual but have had no luck

the car is a automatic

when i changed the throttle body i read that you needed to reset the pcm which i did per the haynes manual

i just dont know what else to do
can anyone shed some light on this subject ????
thanks for any help

Old 07-09-2009, 05:45 PM
Super Moderator

Does the 03 throttle plate use cables or is it motorized? If cables, then check that the cables are routed properly and not binding.

Old 07-09-2009, 06:18 PM
johnnym
Unregistered

Originally Posted by PAhonda
Does the 03 throttle plate use cables or is it motorized? If cables, then check that the cables are routed properly and not binding.

ya it uses cables they are routed right and not binding

Old 07-11-2009, 06:26 PM
johnnym
Unregistered

great site lot of helpfull people on here

thanks for nothing

Old 07-11-2009, 07:08 PM
Super Moderator

Some people don't post their fixes, so you thread probably just got pushed down the list. There are a lot of helpful people on here.

What does the Haynes manual have you do to reset a PCM on an 03? I thought that you had to take it to a dealership or use a scanner to reset the PCM. Older accords only needed you to pull the ECU fuse to reset.

I don't own an automatic, so here are things that I have read based on memory. Adjust the shifter cable. Is there another cable that goes to the transmission? Haynes manuals are ok, but the honda shop manual is much better IMO.

Old 07-12-2009, 01:15 PM
johnnym
Unregistered

well the haynes book says turn key to the on position for 2 seconds then start car,then rev to 3000 rpm and hold there till the fans turn on then let it idle for 5 minutes .. i find alittle stupid that thats going to reset the pcm but idk

there are 2 cables that go to the throttle body one is for the accelerator and the other i believe goes to the tranny ive tried adjusting the tranny one with no luck it says its surposed to just be slack free in the haynes book ive gone both ways with it and cant get it to work

im sure there are alot of noledgable people on this site i guees im just used to my motorcycle forum where u post up and there is 100 people trying to help you out

thanks though

do you think i should find the pcm fuse and pull it or will that cause me more issues ?

Old 07-12-2009, 01:17 PM
johnnym
Unregistered

oh i also went to autozone to have scan it to make sure there wernt any code still on and there wasnt

the check engine light is not on

Old 07-13-2009, 08:11 AM
Super Moderator

I don't think the 2003 has a tranny cable (from the TB to the tranny). Those 2 cables are gas pedal & cruise control.

My 2003 didn't have an auto tranny, so I'm not real familiar except it seems to be controlled mostly by the computers.