General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

08 Honda accord blower motor won’t turn on

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2024, 08:44 AM
Newest Of Newbies
Default 08 Honda accord blower motor won’t turn on

So, I’ve got a 08 accord lx 4 door, and I realized yesterday the blower motor was not running at all. I’ve replaced the 40 amp j case fuse under the hood, the relay, even tried a new resistor and blower motor. For some reason nothing is working. The 7.5 amp fuse underneath the drivers side is fine, also. Anyone got any ideas? I did recently install an aftermarket head unit and a single 12” sub in the back, but I don’t see how that could affect it. Checked all my wires behind the stereo too to make sure i didn’t unplug or mess something up, so I’m at a loss. I have no lights on the dash and the blower motor is the only thing not working from what I found so far. I’ve searched high and low and I have found a lot of people have problems with the resistor, but I tried that and nothing happens. So someone please help! I’m in Michigan and it’s COLD!

Last edited by Tyguy32; 03-10-2024 at 08:52 AM.
Old 03-10-2024, 09:35 AM
Super Moderator

Do you have a volt meter or test light? You'll need to identify if the blower is missing power or missing ground.

The blower motor should have two larger gauge wires plugging into it. A white and green wire. Unplug the connector and the green wire should have 12V with the key in the II position. Use a good ground like a bare metal bolt when trying this test. A test light is better for this test, but a volt meter will work. Try both if you have htem.

Another test you can try is to backprobe the white wire with the connector plugged in. Key in II position. Jump that backprobe to a good ground and see if the blower turns on at high speed.

Old 03-10-2024, 01:58 PM
Newest Of Newbies

Originally Posted by PAhonda
Do you have a volt meter or test light? You'll need to identify if the blower is missing power or missing ground.

The blower motor should have two larger gauge wires plugging into it. A white and green wire. Unplug the connector and the green wire should have 12V with the key in the II position. Use a good ground like a bare metal bolt when trying this test. A test light is better for this test, but a volt meter will work. Try both if you have htem.

Another test you can try is to backprobe the white wire with the connector plugged in. Key in II position. Jump that backprobe to a good ground and see if the blower turns on at high speed.

just tried a multi meter on it got no reading at all, tried a test light, nothing. Even tried the back probe idea and got nothing. Another thing to know is randomly since I’ve had this car I got it in December by the way, the dash portion of the control half of them will randomly have the lights go out don’t know why either I’m starting to wonder if it could be a bad climate control module

Last edited by Tyguy32; 03-10-2024 at 02:44 PM.
Old 03-10-2024, 03:35 PM
Super Moderator

Hook your test light to a good ground (any bare metal bolt on the car) and touch each tab on top of the #16 7.5 amp fuse in the drive's side fuse box. Does the fuse light up on both, one, or no tabs?

Old 03-10-2024, 04:00 PM
Newest Of Newbies

Hook your test light to a good ground (any bare metal bolt on the car) and touch each tab on top of the #16 7.5 amp fuse in the drive's side fuse box. Does the fuse light up on both, one, or no tabs?

just did #16 lite up on both sides, and I’ve replaced the relay up front and the 40amp fuse up front already also. To add, I just put 12v power to the blower motor and it works.

Old 03-10-2024, 04:53 PM
Super Moderator

I guess the good thing is the climate control is not the issue.

I would unplug the blower motor relay in the engine bay fuse box. Use the volt meter to see if two of the pins in the relay socket have 12V. Then two of the other pins should have continuity (~zero resistance) to ground. Also the big pins are the power feed to run the blower and the smaller pins are the control side.

Old 03-10-2024, 05:11 PM
Newest Of Newbies

I guess the good thing is the climate control is not the issue.

I would unplug the blower motor relay in the engine bay fuse box. Use the volt meter to see if two of the pins in the relay socket have 12V. Then two of the other pins should have continuity (~zero resistance) to ground. Also the big pins are the power feed to run the blower and the smaller pins are the control side.

couldn’t it be the actual climate control unit? Like the power output on the unit isn’t working or something? As the 7.5amp fuse is before the unit?

Old 03-10-2024, 05:26 PM
Super Moderator

No. The blower motor gets constant 12V from the relay and the climate controls the ground through the resistor.

Old 03-10-2024, 05:33 PM
Newest Of Newbies

No. The blower motor gets constant 12V from the relay and the climate controls the ground through the resistor.

alright I will have to wait until tomorrow to grab my testing stuff from work, I had to borrow someone’s meter today to originally test the stuff. But I will test the relay tomorrow afternoon

Old 03-11-2024, 11:03 AM
Newest Of Newbies

So I just tried with the voltmeter, and only one of the pins is getting 12 V the middle large pin is not

Quick Reply: 08 Honda accord blower motor won’t turn on