General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

1980 Accord Hatch electrical failure

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-2012, 09:22 PM
Unhappy 1980 Accord Hatch electrical failure

So I've been trying to fix her for about a month now.. I want to keep this short but detailed.

Started when: Dropped my lady off at home, shut it off to help her get inside, went to start it zero power no dome no starter click no dash lights, Pushed it in to a parking spot and got a ride home. Jumping it didn't start it.

Had a friend check it out and he suggested I replace a battery terminal, replaced it. And was able to start it up and drive it home, kinda... it died at the end of my girls driveway zero power again.. got it started again a few key turns later, got about a block from my house before it died again (died when slowed down about 5-10mph, 0RPM drop electrical failurer).

Had it parked in that spot for a week trying to replace things, clean things, get it all going.

Replaced: Positive terminal and cable, Negative terminal and cable, main ground cable, Fusible Link (fuse next to battery from Positive cable), a fuse that seemed burnt out.

Cleaned a few of the grounds that are accessible, added dialectric gel to these spots..

Resoldered my main relay (cheap fix if thats issue)

Now heres where I got to thinking it was my Ignition switch/cylinder connection... I thought it was this and I can NOT find an Ignition switch or cylinder for the life of me ANYWHERE, so a little thinking and I put in 2 toggle switches and a starter button.

The two toggles have LEDs on them and when I finished installing them and hook my battery back up I flip the toggles on and the lights turned on! (no dash lights.. weird.........), clutch in, lights turned off.. clutch out.. back on... getting late so I try to turn my dome on, lights turned off no dome on....

So I ask you.. honda accord forum... what should I check next? Multimeter in hand and wallet going empty... can recheck fuses.. can probe wires.. dash is pretty much apart besides the top part of it.

Got a 3geez meet I want to attend coming up. Much appreciation!

Old 08-26-2012, 05:37 PM

3 pages and not a single reply?

Old 08-27-2012, 06:38 PM
Super Moderator

What color wires are you joining.

Sorry I passed on this as a few things don't add up.....there is no "main relay" on these. Also I had the ign swith on my 81 hatch burn up and it took three wires to keep the car running......touch the starter wire to the "three" for start. These also don't have the clutch inhibitor - meaning the car will start in gear if it is a manual - I did this a time or two in the 81 hatch and 85 4 dr. Last, this would be a 2geez question.

Old 08-28-2012, 05:12 AM

Originally Posted by poorman212
What color wires are you joining.

Sorry I passed on this as a few things don't add up.....there is no "main relay" on these. Also I had the ign swith on my 81 hatch burn up and it took three wires to keep the car running......touch the starter wire to the "three" for start. These also don't have the clutch inhibitor - meaning the car will start in gear if it is a manual - I did this a time or two in the 81 hatch and 85 4 dr. Last, this would be a 2geez question.
There is a main relay.. behind the hood release around the corner of plastic theres an orangish box looking relay thing with a wire switch plugged in to it, and just above that the main relay was mounted with the wire switch plugged in to it as well.. unscrewed it and popped it open had the solders and all that I just refreshed with some fresh solder.. if it isn't a main relay, well I resoldered it anyways, no big deal still no power.

There's 6 wires on my ignition switch, not including the 2 from the dummy bell that is mounted just above the ignition cylinder.

2 Power wires,
2 Ignition wires,
1 Starter wire,
1 Accessory wire.

I've got two toggles, and one starter button.

Switch one: Positive (Power), Load (Ignition), Negative (Ground)
Switch two: Positive (Power, Load (Accessory), Negatie (Ground)

Starter button: Ignition, Starter

Sorry if this is the wrong website, I've tried finding other forums and have had no luck. If there is no electricity to the car, why would I bump start the car? The dome light should be turning on, the dash lights should turn on if I am giving it power, and there is obviously something a lot bigger than just cramming the starter wire against my power, ignition, and accessory wire..

Last edited by Cthulhu; 08-28-2012 at 05:16 AM.
Old 08-28-2012, 06:16 AM
Super Moderator

You posted in the right forum.

Can you tell us the wire colors going to the ignition switch?

Old 08-28-2012, 03:02 PM

12 Gauge wire all the way around for this job, proper connectors, female slip ons, crimps and all.

Off the top of my head the two whites are Power

The two blacks with a yellow stripe are ignition

The single white with pink/red stripe is accessory

The starter was a single Black with white stripe.

I mounted the two toggles on the front of the plastic console that wraps around the shift stick and e-brake. They are grounded beneath the carpet pressed down with a screw against the chasis. They have power but lose power when I try to do something else. I didn't realize the clutch had electrical in it.

My reason for splicing in the toggles was that I ran across a similar posting with identical issues and he replaced his ignition switch/cylinder and fixed his issues, while my car is too old to find the replacement...

Last edited by Cthulhu; 08-28-2012 at 03:30 PM.
Old 08-28-2012, 06:50 PM
Super Moderator

You may be able to find a replacement on Ebay. You can try car-part.com to search junkyards by distance or price. You may find the part you need. It is worth a shot.

I think to get all the electrical stuff to work properly, you need to supply power to all the non-powered wires (except blk/wht). Then to start the car, you need to supply power to the blk/wht wire.

Old 08-28-2012, 07:20 PM

Originally Posted by PAhonda
You may be able to find a replacement on Ebay. You can try car-part.com to search junkyards by distance or price. You may find the part you need. It is worth a shot.

I think to get all the electrical stuff to work properly, you need to supply power to all the non-powered wires (except blk/wht). Then to start the car, you need to supply power to the blk/wht wire.
I see.. I need a 12volt power to the starter button as well.. so do you think I put the power to go with the ignition side of the starter button as well?

I'd rather not go off topic though, there is no power anyways so I don't want to jump around at the moment... gotta trace my issues..

Last edited by Cthulhu; 08-28-2012 at 07:23 PM.
Old 08-29-2012, 12:05 AM

Update: Took my tester and tested all fuses, 8 of them don't have any power at all. Pretty sure they aren't all blown because the wires themselves don't have any power at all either...

The 8 are: High and low, Left and right head lamps (4), cooling fan (1), wiper washer(1), regulator fuel pump(1), turn signal light reverse light fuel meter(1)

Are any of these related to dome light or dash light? Still don't have any of those lights coming on. What do I do?

Old 08-29-2012, 08:31 PM
Super Moderator

Simple questions.....

Do the headlights turn on?

When you press the brake pedal, do the tail lights come on?

Quick Reply: 1980 Accord Hatch electrical failure