General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

1989 Accord Lxi A/C Problem

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-2009, 03:01 PM
Tz Harley
Unregistered
Default 1989 Accord Lxi A/C Problem

Brought a 1989 Honda Accord Lx-i Sedan last year manufactured date 12/88. I drive it from Raleigh to Charlotte once a week. The man told me when I brought it the A/C compressor was leaking and he said I would probably have to put Freon in it every spring or get a new A/C compressor. Air is not cool anymore. Any of you guys any suggestions? New compressor vs remanufactured? I would like to have it fixed b/c it takes R12 or something like that and no one carries it anymore. I love my little car it has 162,500 miles on it.
Thanks Tricia

Old 08-16-2009, 03:51 PM
Been Around A Long Time Member

you can get a new compressor ( non-Honda) which comes complete with clutch and coil , and have the system retrofitted to R134-A ,,

Old 08-16-2009, 06:02 PM
Tz Harley
Unregistered

Can I buy the part on line and if so where? Thank you

Old 08-16-2009, 07:08 PM
Super Moderator : And A Texan

You can find used compressors on ebay or car-part.com. Rebuilt on ebay, ackits.com, or all over internet. I never buy rebuilt and go w/ used because of bad rep on out-of-box failures. There are lots of non-reliable rebuilders. Ackits.com uses reliable rebuilders.

You may be able to repair your compressor if the rotating shaft seal is leaking (dirty/oily ring around compressor clutch rotation plane). Seal should be available from ackits.com. Installation requires a tool to "carry" the seal over the shaft threads and prevent seal lips from reversing. Once in position, pull the tube out leaving seal in position. I use a thin sheet of plastic (liter soda bottle) rolled to make an installation tube.

After repairing/replacing compressor, perform a good leak check w/ pressurized nitrogen or a vacuum leak check to be sure that system is bubble tight.

Ackits.com has guidance on retrofitting or you can employ a professional. their double-end capped PAG is a good lubricant for retrofitting. A new receiver/drier is recommended, but most everything else is OK to reuse. Some replace all orings (including removing evaporator and replacing expansion valve and feedback line orings). They tend to harden and leak w/ age.

good luck