General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

98 accord engine swap or fix tranny?

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-2009, 04:01 AM
Default 98 accord engine swap or fix tranny?

hey guys i have a 98 accord lx auto trans.
mechanic told me that i have a bad tranny.
problem: when the car is running on idle, the RPM goes up and down but when the fan turns on it stops. also everytime im driving it just right after a complete stop, the car jerks. my cousin(also mechanic) told me it might be clutch.
shop qouted me $2,500 for the rebuild on trans.
i found a 99 accord engine and trans for $1,200 with 120k mileage.

guys help me, what should i do?

Old 08-16-2009, 08:34 AM
Been Around A Long Time Member

ask the shop how much they will charge you to install your transmission ,,,,,,,it should be around 6-7 hrs labor ,,$ 600-700 ? then you got rear main seal which i would replace $ 20-25 ,, tranny fluid ATF-Z1 $ 35-40 ...you can do the math

...Just so you know, if the shop installs your tranny they will not give you any warranty on YOUR tranny ,,if anything goes wrong a few miles later and it is internal tranny issue you got to pay labor all over again ,,

so it might be cheaper for you to get the used assembly ( engine-tranny) for $ 1200 ,, and have them install your tranny and still have an engine left over

As for the rpm flaring, could be low on coolant or a vacc leak or base idle just set up too high..

your cousin telling you that car jerks coming to stop that it could be a clutch ?? does he know that it is an Auto tranny ??

Old 08-16-2009, 07:37 PM

Originally Posted by deserthonda
ask the shop how much they will charge you to install your transmission ,,,,,,,it should be around 6-7 hrs labor ,,$ 600-700 ? then you got rear main seal which i would replace $ 20-25 ,, tranny fluid ATF-Z1 $ 35-40 ...you can do the math

...Just so you know, if the shop installs your tranny they will not give you any warranty on YOUR tranny ,,if anything goes wrong a few miles later and it is internal tranny issue you got to pay labor all over again ,,

so it might be cheaper for you to get the used assembly ( engine-tranny) for $ 1200 ,, and have them install your tranny and still have an engine left over

As for the rpm flaring, could be low on coolant or a vacc leak or base idle just set up too high..

your cousin telling you that car jerks coming to stop that it could be a clutch ?? does he know that it is an Auto tranny ??
i forgot to mentioned that the check engine light is on. ill go to a shop and have them read the code and ill get back to you guys.
for the installation i think i can do it my self.

thanks for the input!