General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

99 Accord Engine & Tranny Swap

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2008, 03:20 PM
BertMan
Unregistered
Default 99 Accord Engine & Tranny Swap

I own a 1999 Accord, 2dr, 3.0 liter. It has 185,000 miles on it. I have run the transmission to it last mile and it needs to be replaced. After several days of phone calls and research, it is cheaper and more beneficial for me to buy an engine/tranny combination from a wrecked vehicle than to just buy and replace the tranny.

$2500 Tranny, 2 yr warranty
$1900 Eng & Tranny, 70K miles on themand has a 6 month warranty. Thats 115K miles less on the engine that I currently have.

I am about to place the order for the engine and tranny, so I can get it delivered to me as soon as possible. The potential installation place that I was working with wanted $400 to replace the transmission. Since I have found an engine & transmission for a better price, that same place would like to charge me $800 to remove and replace both of them. $400 I was willing to pay, but I believe $800 is an unfair price and because of that I am willing to tackle the challenge myself. Well me and another guy or two and a case of beer.
I currently have a Haynes manual for the car and it has mislead me in the past so my trust level of it is not that high for the task at hand.

So I am asking if there is a place that I can download a step-by-step process for removing and replacing my engine & transmission?

AND

What potential hazards are there once the new engine is installed? For example; will my computer freak out and lock up because of all the new components that it is reading?

Thanks for your help and I'll be looking for your inputs.

Old 03-02-2008, 04:57 PM
Default RE: 99 Accord Engine & Tranny Swap

I justchanged the motor onmy 2000 4 cyl. I read Haynes, Chilton, and the dealer helms manual and all said the same- drop the motor and tranny together through the bottom. I wanted only to replace the engine, so i was stubborn and tried getting it out by hoisting it out. Didnt work, a bit too tight, had to drop them both. Moral of the story, the Haynes is prolly gonna have the info you need. The v6 is obviously a bit different, but my i4 wasnt too bad dropping through the bottom. That is of course after I finaly decided to take that route.

Old 03-02-2008, 09:07 PM
Super Moderator
Default RE: 99 Accord Engine & Tranny Swap

those are really expensive prices for the engine and tranny, find them used you could get both for under a grand probably. and $800 for a motor and tranny swap isnt too bad of a price