General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

1989 accord massive carb flooding

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2014, 07:47 PM
Default 1989 accord massive carb flooding

1989 accord lx was sitting for years and had to replace fuel pump and take gas out and replace. We can get it started manually pouring gas into carb but the fuel is just pouring into the carb when starting to where it floods and actually pours over. Do you think this is the float or needle?

I have read other threads talking about only taking the top of the carb off but i am not sure what that means. Are we talking 4 bolts or what?
Can you tell me exactly how to find and service this? Happen to have pictures?

Trying to help a family member who is on limited income get a decent fuel efficient vehicle running not to mention teach my wife how to drive a stick shift. I am in Matthews NC myself..

Any way to get these parts without full rebuild kit or should i even bother trying to fix vs ordering a remanufactured?

Old 04-03-2014, 12:04 AM
Super Moderator

One moderator will likely post on this thread to help you out.

I would carefully inspect all the vacuum hoses and make sure they are connected properly. A shop manual will help. The online manuals link in the DIY section has a link to hondatech where you can get a pdf of the 86-89 manual .

Old 04-03-2014, 07:14 AM

Take a look at this picture. If gas is pouring into the engine it's normally one of two problems, the float or the needle/seat.

If you have ever opened the top to your toilet you will pretty much how this works. The float drops as fuel is used opening a gap between the needle and seat refilling the carb "bowl" with fuel. Sometimes the float gets a hole in it causing it to not float anymore allowing too much fuel in the bowl. Just as would happen with a toilet, if the bowl (or tank as it's called in a toilet) it over flows and in the case of a carb, the fuel goes out the bowl vent, and down the throat of the carb.

Since you mentioned the car has been sitting, it's also possible dirt has gotten trapped between the needle and seat causing the same issue.

The carb is made from several pieces and often you can access the float by removing the top half of the carb. Here is the trick, if you have to replace the float or needle/seat, you have to set the float so it closes the needle valve at the correct fuel level, or the car will not run correctly.

My personal advise is this has gotten into the realm of a professional. Unless you have tinkered with carbs before, you may end up costing yourself more in the end. The last carb equipped Honda's were some of the most complex parts on the car due to emissions and unless you are familiar with them, they can be a bear.

YMMV

Attached Thumbnails 1989 accord massive carb flooding-carb_basics.jpg  
Old 04-03-2014, 01:28 PM

thanks for the help. ive been looking at schematics from the online manuals - am i seeing this right... two or three bolts or screws at the top of the carb takes the top off to where i should be able to see the needle seat and float?

Old 04-03-2014, 05:35 PM
Super Moderator

Yea, almost that simple.

First, verify the fuel bowl is filling up- there is a sight glass on the side of the carb, view from the drivers tire with the air cleaner base removed, or at least lifted up. Might have to pinch the fuel hose to stop the flow and start the car. As you see the level in the bowl drop, release the hose and see if it fills all the way up and then the gas starts to drip/pour down the throat of the carb.

If it is overflowing, then time to dive in.

You'll need a carb kit or at least a new gasket for the top of the carb and a new needle and seat. To pull the top off, yes there are a few bolts to remove with either a phillips screw driver or an 8 mm socket (I think, been a while sice I did this). I think there is one rod to the accel pump that has to come off as well. Then pretty much lift the top off.

Now the fun part will be deciding if it is the float gone bad or the needle and seat.

There are a few tricks to getting the needle and seat out without pressing out the rod that holds the float. Once you get to that part let me know and I can go into details about it.

Can you take a pic or two of the carb and point out/show where the gas is leaking into the throat of the carb?

Would have replied sooner but had car issues of my own yesterday. BTW, I replaced the needle and seat for the float one night after work....so it is not that bad of a job.

Last, while there. Do yourself a favor and check the #7 vac line that connects to the base of the carb - back side between the firewall and the carb. Give it a slight tug to be sure it isn't burnt right where is connects to the carb....pretty common for it to burn/melt.

Attached Thumbnails 1989 accord massive carb flooding-3rd-gen-carb-throat-my-leak.jpg  
Old 04-03-2014, 05:51 PM
Super Moderator

Now that I actually read the "whole story". This could be as simple as the float is stuck. I missed the part about the car sitting for so long.

Just a try. Pull the fuel line from the carb and cap it off - there is only like 5 psi so it doesn't take much.

Get the car started, my need a small prime of carb cleaner or something. Watch/look at the sight glass and see if the level in the bowl goes down to nothing and the car stalls.

Slowly pour, funnel and a piece of hose, seafoam into the bowl thru the fuel line inlet on the carb. Again use the sight glass to see that the bowl is filling. Go ahead and fill the bowl all the way. Let it sit for a bit. Lightly tap on the top of the carb with a soft object - screwdriver handle would work.

Let it sit and give it a few more taps.

Connect the fuel line back up and turn the key to on - don't start the car, just turn the key to on. Do you see gas dripping into the carb.......dang, worth a try but now you have to pull the top.

Old 04-03-2014, 06:03 PM

ok so figured it out and got the top of the carb off cleaned it all out.. slightly dirty but not too bad. Took the float off and needle (part the float bumped up and down). The rubber tip looked good and to a nice point but then again i dont know what i am really looking for. Put it all back together and its still pouring into the carb. I dont have a pic yet but will try and describe. The float level was good. My dad had an 89 and i was just talking to him and described. He said fuel shoudlnt be coming out the parts i am talking about as he never saw fuel come out those parts. The parts i am referring to are as follows. Once you take the carb mesh round screen off you see two angled cut metal pipes that point basically over each barrell. Fuel is pouring out those into the carb and over after ignition and then it fills up and over and dies. I had an 86 and my memory is not good on that but i dont recall fuel coming out those pipes either. I cant even find what the names of those parts are but since fuel is coming out then clearly it connects internally to the fuel bowl area. Any ideas?

Old 04-03-2014, 06:31 PM
Default pic of parts overflow

trying to upload pic but it keeps failing.. what am i doing wrong? The file size is fine..

Old 04-03-2014, 06:52 PM
Super Moderator

The needle is not seating.

In the pic I posted, see the bad "paint circle" in a light blue. I that where it is coming from?

You should never be able to see gas/liquid going down the throat of the carb.

The "float level" was good? Can you give more info on this? The sight glass on the side should only be "half" way full.

On the 87 LX I did this on, the float had to "sit" above a tab that did not let the float swing "all the way" down.

So again, what does the fuel level look like thru the sight glass?

Old 04-03-2014, 06:53 PM
Default url pic of carb for example

noodle looking metal - angled cut over each barrell.. this is where fuel is pouring outhttps://encrypted-tbn0.gstatic.com/i...xEHzQTIuuINTQ2

Quick Reply: 1989 accord massive carb flooding