General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

1989 accord won't turn over

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2012, 06:57 PM
Newest Of Newbies
Default 1989 accord won't turn over

I have a 89 accord with carb. When I try to start it, nothing. No clicking from starter, no fire, it has a new battery. Any ideas? I can't seem to find anyhing online for a starter solenoid for it. Could hat be the issue? Also anyone know exactly here it's located? On my other cars its been on the side at the bottom of the engine...

Old 08-30-2012, 07:01 PM
Super Moderator

Auto or manual?

From the pass/right side of the car, from under the hood - you should find the starter. Do you have a volt meter to do some quick tests....oh, might need a helper to turn the key as you measure some voltage under the hood.

Old 08-30-2012, 07:09 PM
Newest Of Newbies

manual transmission. Exactly where on pass/right? top or bottom? Its currently in the parking lot at work. Thankfully i died there and i was able to leave it there.

Old 08-30-2012, 09:01 PM
Super Moderator

Being a manual trans brings another "possible" into play ...you didn't see a funny looking piece of blue plastic in the floor board - like a piece of blue crayon?

Follow the lower hose from the rad to the engine - about six inches below where that hose connects to the engine is the starter.

There are two "cables" going to it. One is a small spade connection - upper. The other is a larger cable that has a nut holding it on.

When "someone" tries to start the car, the small one should have 12v to ground.

This pic is from my 88 LXi- look for the "green thing"...that is the starter, the cables are almost dead center below the hose - the big one with the rusty clamp - leave me alone guys on that.

EDIT: Your starter may not be "green" like the one here - I had to replace this one - some years ago.......so this is a pic of the aftermarket one on the car.

and for anyone else - remember the rad hose connections changed from the 3rd to 4th (and newer) gen accords - meaning the t-stat is in the UPPER hose on a 3rd gen.

Attached Thumbnails 1989 accord won't turn over-starter-88-lxi.jpg  

Last edited by poorman212; 08-30-2012 at 09:21 PM.
Old 09-15-2012, 05:02 PM
Newest Of Newbies

I found the starter. When I try to start lights nothing, lights don't dim. We push started it and it started fine. With key off, no voltage on anything on the solenoid. With starting, voltage is only on lug from the battery.

What is the thin black wire from. I know the big ones are from the battery and starter. Putting a screwdriver between battery and starter only sparks like crazy.

The starter is easy to remove and replace. I can't seem to remove the solenoid.

Old 09-15-2012, 09:03 PM
Super Moderator

That blk/wht wire is the signal for the starter to turn on. Check if that wire has 12V when you turn the key to start the car.

That wire gets 12V from the ignition switch. The clutch pedal switch is between the starter and the ignition switch. Check for 12V on one of the wires on the clutch pedal switch with the key in the II position.

Old 09-16-2012, 08:40 AM
Newest Of Newbies

There isn't any voltage on the thin wire with the key in the II position. The car will push start. If something was wrong with the clutch or switch, wouldn't the car not push start?

Old 09-16-2012, 09:02 AM
Newest Of Newbies

Question

What is meant by blue crayon?

Which do I check on the clutch pedal switch? The switch or connector?

The black switch that pushes in and out doesnt push in when pedal is released. It does through the hole in the pedal arm.

Wouldn't this mean that the the car would have started without pressing in the clutch?

Old 09-16-2012, 09:26 AM
Super Moderator

There is a "plug" that goes into the "hole" on the clutch - two switches if you have cruise - and on the brake pedal. These plugs are "blue" color OE, after time they break. Meaning you will find blue plastic pieces in the floor board. The stem that goes thru the hole is about the diameter of a crayon.

Got home on Tuesday and the brake lights in my 89 LXi were staying on. Looked in the floor board and guess what - blue plastic pieces. Went to the dealer and spent ~$2.30 and good to go - the new ones from the dealer are white in color. Pic of the pieces, at least the ones I found from Tuesday attached.

The upper switch on the clutch pedal has this same "stopper/plug", which would cause the car not to start as this would not allow power to the small BLK/WHT wire of the starter.

Attached Thumbnails 1989 accord won't turn over-pedal-plug-broken.jpg  
Old 09-16-2012, 09:29 AM
Super Moderator

To add, the lower switch that closes when the pedal IS NOT being pushed is for the cruise control - I'm guessing it isn't working on this car.

The upper switch that closes when the pedal is pushed is the inhibitor - this is for the starting system.

Quick Reply: 1989 accord won't turn over