General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

1989 Headlights Won't stop flipping

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2024, 11:12 AM
Default 1989 Headlights Won't stop flipping

I know nothing about cars, so sorry if anything's not clear or specific enough.

We were driving for about 5, 10 minutes with a headlights on normally, when all the sudden they start flipping up and down. When we turn the headlights off and they're still flipping up and down, on a constant Beat. At this point, we have to unplug the battery because even when the car is turned off they won't stop flipping. When we put the battery back on, they retract back into the normal off position. But in about 5 to 10 minutes whether the car is on or not, they start flipping like crazy again.

I can't find the signature thing, so I'm just going to put this here, it's an 1989 Honda accord, I have no clue what the Engine Size and Tranny style is. And honestly I don't know where to look to find that.

Last edited by LostCar; 04-27-2024 at 11:30 AM. Reason: I'm trying to find a signature thing and I have no clue where it's at
Old 04-27-2024, 01:33 PM
Super Moderator

Enabling the signature is in the settings, but not super critical.

To determine the root cause, you'd need to do some electrical testing. Since you aren't familiar with cars, that may not be an option for you, but you can let us know.

There are likely 3 items that could cause this problem. Here is the order I suspect most likely. 1. headlight motor control unit, retractor switch, or the headlight switch.

When the headlight motors start opening/closing, do the headlight bulbs turn on, flicker, or stay off?

You should be able to pry the retractor switch out with a plastic screwdriver to prevent damaging the interior trim. I'm not sure where the switch is located, so you may be able to push the switch out from the back. The switch is held in by friction usually by two tabs/ears. If you can do that an unplug that switch, does the problem go away?

Alternatively, if you can get the headlights to stop in the open/up posistion, you can remove the two relays for the headlight motor, and the motors should not move. This will get you by until you can repair.

Old 04-27-2024, 09:33 PM

Thanks for responding to me, I got somebody to help me put my lights permanently up until I can get it repaired. But yeah the lights turn on and off like normal . There's no flickering and they don't turn on and off by themselves. It just uncontrollably flips. I'll have to see about the unplugging the switch later, as it's very rainy where I'm at currently

Old 04-27-2024, 10:02 PM
Super Moderator

Since the bulbs are not turning on when the headlight motors are operated, that pretty much eliminates the headlight switch. A faulty control unit or the headlight motor switch are more likely.

I doubt you can get new parts from Honda, so you may need to look at junkyards or ebay.